Valliant ecotec 837-hot water working but no central heating?! HELP please!

ah ok thanks, do i need to do this for the hot water too? also, is there anything that needs to be done beforehand to program run properly?

Sponsored Links
ah ok thanks, do i need to do this for the hot water too? also, is there anything that needs to be done beforehand to program run properly?

No need for hot water too. Purge program purges air from whole boiler. Just make sure the pressure is between 1.2 and 1.5 bar (checked with boiler cold) before you run the program. After program runs, see if any improvement.

No need for hot water too. Purge program purges air from whole boiler. Just make sure the pressure is between 1.2 and 1.5 bar (checked with boiler cold) before you run the program. After program runs, see if any improvement.

ok perfect thanks. so to get the "boiler cold" i probably need to turn it off for a while? is it best to do leave it off overnight and then give it a go in the morning?

Sponsored Links
Half an hour will do.Just time to let it cool down otherwise you won't get an accurate pressure reading. Purge p.0 is item 7.7 in the boiler's manual.

Last edited:
i'm back at the house now and just set the p.0 programme off. hopefully this fixes the issue. thanks very much.

ok that didnt fix it.....the t-stat turned itself off again and the boiler is showing the S30 code....what shall i do? help please. thank you

Last edited:
it seems like a t-stat issue more than a boiler issue doesnt it?

Have you checked the batteries in the thermostat?

Are your radiators getting hot?

Is your boiler holding pressure now?

Is the pipe after your central heating zone valve getting hot?

Have you checked that lockshield valves aren’t fully closed?

When you open the bleed valve on your radiators does water come out?

Have you checked the batteries in the thermostat?.....i dont know how to do this. i can do if advised how. thanks.

Are your radiators getting hot?....yes last time they did, this time no. i dont think the heating was on long enough.

Is your boiler holding pressure now? yes.

Is the pipe after your central heating zone valve getting hot? yes

Have you checked that lockshield valves aren’t fully closed? i dont know what this is. i will google it and see if i can figure it out and report back.

When you open the bleed valve on your radiators does water come out? yes, this is the case will all of them.

also, i just noticed something odd, i will post pictures in a minute. basically, there's a switch that was ON but had no fuse in it....just looked really odd and it connects to the switch that the t-stat connects to so i thought it may be important to tell you

Last edited:
Well if there’s no fuse in that switch then it won’t be doing anything.

Do you have pics of your thermostat and programmer?

Have you checked the batteries in the thermostat?.....i dont know how to do this. i can do if advised how. thanks.

Are your radiators getting hot?....yes last time they did, this time no. i dont think the heating was on long enough.

Is your boiler holding pressure now? yes.

Is the pipe after your central heating zone valve getting hot? yes

Have you checked that lockshield valves aren’t fully closed? i dont know what this is. i will google it and see if i can figure it out and report back.

When you open the bleed valve on your radiators does water come out? yes, this is the case will all of them.

also, i just noticed something odd, i will post pictures in a minute. basically, there's a switch that was ON but had no fuse in it....just looked really odd and it connects to the switch that the t-stat connects to so i thought it may be important to tell you

ok so the lock shield valves are on the rads right? just checked one of them and it was off. i guess previous owners did this for a reason? i will go round and make sure they are all on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back