valve caps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( my expensive [ poundland ] :) valve caps have seized on the thread, they look as if there made of a light alloy, must be about 2 months since i checked me tyre pressure,s / and now they wont budge, ive tried boiling water over them but no good.
they even have ring spanner heads on them but still wont budge even if i hold the most part with grips.
cheapest quote is £20 for new valves and balance, any tips before i pay out most welcome , [ i know dont put cheapo valve caps on again ] :) . regards. r.r.

Sponsored Links
you could try grinding the head off and then when exposed spray plenty of wd in and let it soak,the heat off the grinding may even help free them

:) was that about great minds an all that lol/ i was just thinking same thing, i tried wd40 eddie m but cant get it into the threads, but i just thought same as ch427 ive got a small grinder also a cutter that fit into a drill, im going to have a go with that as you said and see if i can get some wd40 in them then, if not ill try and grind down 1 side of em enough to weaken them . will post an update. cheers for your replies. :) r.r.

Sponsored Links
You might find that they are self locking and will have to grind them off or go to a tyre fitter and get new valves put in

check with the neighbours - see if anyone else has the problem.
possibly asbochav with a tube of superglue and some spare time?

try cutting at right angles to the thread with a hacksaw blade - you should then be able to split it enough with a flat blade screwdriver. put plenty of masking tape over the wheel rim first though in case it slips.

:) cheers ron gamma, tried that but because there on alloys and not steel rims didnt leave much room.
anyway pleased to say i got them off in the end :) . used a small inch grinding wheel in a mains drill and then a thin spindal type grinder, and like most things after the first one it got easier , bit nerve racking to make sure i didnt go to far with the last grinder :) . also on the 3rd valve the inside of the valve came loose and as i didnt have a cap to shuv on it i ended up with a flat tyre :( .
got spare on and got that sorted , done last valve ok/ and changed wheels [ spare ] back over and apart from the rubber looking a bit sorry for it self [ bit of superglue sorted that out ] job done . and still £20 up.
have,nt heard of anyone else had problems or superglue mentioned and didnt see any sighn of it but good thinking , never know do ya, bloke at tyre place said i probally done em to tight and salt water done the rest.
anyway once again thanks for all replies. r.r. [ long reply as usual ]

I had same probs they were ally and they corroded on, changed the to plastic ones.

you could have chilled them down and tried unscrewing them, as the metals were probably different, and would have shrunk different ammounts.

this has happened to me before with the poundland ones too- i used a pair of moles on the valve and a pair of moles on the cap and twited them against each other- certainly wont use them agen.

Sponsored Links
Back