Van security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my citroen berlingo broken into last weekend. I was rather shocked at how easy it was for them to do it.

Anyway, I've now put a security plate on to make this far more difficult for future toe rags. I was going to put a wacking great padlock on the back as well but unfortunately there is no room to fit it.

Anyway, if you've got a van and you haven't added any security measures to it, I would seriously think about doing it now. i only lost a couple of hundred quids worth of stuff but it could have been worse plus it hasn't exactly helped my anger levels.

Sponsored Links
Your lucky it only happened once. I had my van looted by NYC police and over $7,000 worth of tools were stolen.

The bloke who was responsible I had him sign a contract to make all payments weekly of off to jail he goes.

Even with double locks and alarms the "peace officers" just took the drivers keys away and helped themselves to all the tools and brass in the van and placed him in lock up for being a drunk driver.

Many vans in NYC are stolen as most major cities THANKFULLY the powers that be realize the theft of the van cost contractors loose thousands of dollars in lost wages and the insurance does not cover most of it YET the laws are out to protect the thiefs so if you happen to shoot the thug the thug gets to sue you plus gets all your tools to boot.

Remember civilized countries protect the guilty look at the poor farmer who protected his home and he went to jail.

Had my fuel line cut a few months back two idoits pinching fuel for their moped :evil: ,didn't realise that my motor is diesel :LOL: ,not had it broken into (yet).Its an estate car so they can see in and I never leave any tools in it. ;)

Welcome to a growing club :cry: to which I am a member also :cry: I lost 2 grands worth of tools from the back of my van a couple of years ago. I too had a Berlingo, it had a tailgate rather than twin rear doors and they just smashed the glass panel and took what they wanted. I was on my way home and had parked in Ikea's car park in Croydon I was only three rows back from the store but no-one saw anything :eek: :evil: :evil:

Problem is if you put a load of extra locks on your van the ungodly just know that there is some good stuff in there to be had and you sort of make yourself a target.

I have found a company that will insure tools in your van overnight and have 2 grands worth of cover, not cheap but gives peace of mind, I also rent a unit at a local storage depot and keep all my power tools that I don't use on a daily basis in there, again another expense but just part of the cost of being in business.

I was really pi**ed off when it happened to me so I know how you feel.

It's probably just as well that I didn't catch the ba**ards in the act as it would have got ugly :evil:

Plod were particulary useless in investigating the incident and suggested that I went to the local boot sale :eek: to see if my tools were on sale and then I could buy them back :eek: . I did point out that if I did see my tools on somebodys stand I wouldn't be buying them back, I would be taking them back and the stallholder would be having his dinner through a straw for a while. Officer Dibble pointed out if I did that I would be in more trouble than the bast who nicked my gear. Great !

Didn't go :rolleyes: Her indoors wouldn't sign it off :LOL: again probably just as well.

Message to all. Please don't buy knocked off gear, it may be your stuff they are nicking in a few months time, if no-one buys it they won't nick it.

Message to the bast who nicked my gear. may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your a**ehole :evil:

Sponsored Links
My mate leaves the back of his van in **** order. Looking in the back all you see are rubble sacks couple of muddy spades and bags of grass cuttings. His mower, strimmer and hedgecutter are all underneath that lot. That's gotta be about a grands worth but he doesn't have any additional security, or even an alarm. Worst he had was his ladder nicked off the roof.

have a look at this little product http://www.boldcommunications.co.uk/gsmpager.asp, transmits a message to your mobile and works very quickly, not the cheapest of products but i have found it a very effective device, mainly used as a fixed alarm transmitter but operates on 12volts. so if your van is very close when your working on site you may just catch the toe rag in the act and wont need to go to the car boot to find your powertools, the toe rag may end up wearing them or maybe even having them injected rectally, :evil:

In NYC we have an influx of mid eastern folks and one who was not very honest was trying to steal a car. The owner had an alarm that sent a signal to his cell phone "Car being opened"

Being worried about his car he (being a great citizen did not own a gun) ran out to stop the would be thief and the car owner received 6 knife wounds to his chest for his very gallant effort to stop a crime.

He did die from his wounds BUT at least he was politically correct by not shooting his attacker and the would be thief was caught on surveillance cameras BUT atlas the perpetrator managed to get on a flight and go back to his home land BUT the good thing is he did not get to drive the car

Just like the English farmer who shot an attacker in his home (his castle) and the farmer went to jail for trying to protect his home BUT the governments know what is best for their citizens

I was wondering if many people have had their van broken into via the driver or passenger doors.

It's 140 quid for the lock guards for the driver and passenger doors. If it's as easy to get into them as the back one then i'll happily pay it.

i've decided to get a protective grill for the rear windows and I'm going to try that securlux film on the passenger/driver windows as it seems worth the effort for 40 quid.

Oh and to the yank, i'm really not interested in the politics of americans' right to arm bears. I think the Ted Nugent forum would be more up your alley.

Why not fit a bulkhead between the cab and the payload area then you can spend money on beefing up the rear doors without having to worry about the two front doors. Blocking access/vision through the rear windows can be done with some ply or some sheet metal if you want to save the money on a grille.

i've actually bought a grill for the back windows - it was only forty quid.

I don't really want a bulkhead as i sometimes want 3 metre lengths of copper on the van - i don't have a roof rack and don't intend to get one.

I'm really looking to stop the chancer who spots an easy target as I'm getting a garage and the van will be in there every night from now on.

The cargo type bulkhead that came with my van was made of tubular steel and was a cage that fitted behind the drivers seat to prevent any load shifting onto the driver in the event of a sudden stop. the guy at the dealer said a lot of peeps just didn't want them so he gave me an extra one. It would stop someone climbing from front to back but you can still get lengths of pipe and timber in.

I have a nissan vanette now and with two side sliders and rear access. I have compartmentalised my van with ply lining so any toe rag will have to break into all three doors to clean me out.:cool:

Wouldn't the world be a nicer place if people didn't nick things. (yeah dream on)

How about fitting a bulkhead but having a 'window' cut in it at floor or high level to let 3m copper go through?

Don't for a minute think the police are remotely interesed in this kind of crime....you are the nuisance for wasting their time by reporting it.
I was doing a job four stories up, residential street -not busy or quiet, heard a smash, looked out the window to see a head and shoulders in my van through the side window. Crashed down the stairs but satnav and new owner gone, ran up to end of street - nothing. A bloke came driving up who had seen it and knew where he would be, gave me a lift to local bookies. I went in and got my satnav back, but as he was with a crew, no more than some heated words.
Went outside phoned the police, We'll be there as soon as we can. Waited an hour and robber still in bookies but no police - I gave up.
Fingerprints came next day "we can't fingerprint that, it will destroy it".
Chased them up repeatedly for two weeks to view the bookies and local CCTV, very reluctant - no result.
Wasn't insured for window somehow so it cost £150.
Police are not useless, but with current paperwork, politics, legal system, they are probably only about 1% as effective as we would like.
It's time for the vigilante backlash, count me in!

Sponsored Links
Back