Vat @ 5% for supply & install of energy saving materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the roof installation companies told me that I would get reduced VAT on supply and install of insulation for my flat roof.. The other 3 didnt, but it seems this is correct... could save me a bit of dosh!

Applies to lots of energy saving materials, supply & fit.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk...rs-walls-and-windows/Roof-and-loft-insulation

Save money!
You’ll be charged a lower rate of VAT when you have energy-saving work done to your house, both for the materials and equipment, and for the labour. More materials are covered if the work is funded by a grant. If the house is new, you pay no VAT at all. Loft insulation, wall insulation, floor insulation and draught-proofing are all included. Find out more at the HMRC website.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/energy-saving.htm

Sponsored Links
What needs doing on the flat roof? You may save money on VAT but a big company who is part of the scheme could be pricey.

Ive not seen anything that suggest its a scheme...

Your building contractor will know what work attracts the reduced rate of VAT and will charge you at the correct rate. This guide gives you an idea of the kind of work that is charged at the lower rate.

Afterall, wont they get charged the same rate by the vat man, so they are simply passing on the saving and not putting it in their pocket...

What I meant to say was, how do you know your flat roof needs doing, have you been making enquiries to having it done?

Was just gonna advise on what needs doing and who to use etc..

Sponsored Links
Sorry...

Its not leaking, but we have had a valuation done as part of a re mortgage and they said (as we already knew), that the flat roof could devalue the property as it would need to be repaired/replaced at some point. They actually knocked several grand of the vale due to its condition for the purpose of the mortgage.

Its already been patched, or re-felted at some point before we bought it 6 years ago, and has 4 rather large bubbles, which will eventually leak, so we are trying to be proactive and sort it out now, rather than afterwards when its likely to have caused more damage.

Ive had 4 quotes, 1 of which didnt even quote insulation.. so thats technically non compliant with regs! 1 was 4500k, which I thought was a bit pricey, but ironically did include the 5% Vat !!.. other 2 are 2400, one was an overlay, one was a stip and install. Both insulation and rubber/epdm membrane. Roof area is 23sqm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back