replace new front roof during loft conversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Is it better to re-tile the front roof during a loft conversion? The loft company initially suggested if it isn't broke don't fix it which sounded good to me.
But now the old insulation foil has been removed from the loft and they can see there is no felt under the old tiles, they suggest it might be cheaper in the long run to replace the front tiles and put a breathable water proof layer down first between tiles and rafters.
This makes sense and in an ideal world we would replace the tiles on the front too. The house is 80 years old and the roof has never leaked in the 10 years we have been here, only the flashing round the chimney leaked once and this was fixed with acrylic paint which has lasted 5 years so far.
Its an extra £4k we hadn't budgeted for, £120+vat per m2, outer London prices, and would mean trying to find savings somewhere else.
It looks like around 20% of the neighbouring properties replace the front as well when getting the loft done. Thinking it might be better to just patch the front roof if it ever does leak in the future.

wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this

Sponsored Links
It really depends on the condition of the tiles and how near to the end of their life they are, as well as your financial constraints, also, I have found that Building Control are often more interested in the condition of the tiles when there is no membrane at all so they may have an opinion. Got some photos? It should be cheaper to do it now and certainly less risk to the loft rooms. But that doesn’t sound exactly cheap but there’s little info to go on. And why would you only replace the front tiles and not the rest?

As Freddy says it depends upon the current state of the roof really and how likely it's going to need replacing in the short to medium term anyway. If you're going to have to do it, then there probably won't be a better time. But I would agree why bother if everything is sound.

thanks for replies. the builders think the roof could be fine for another 5 years but not longer. When we had the full survey done when buying it nearly 10 years ago, the surveyor said it would probably last another 5 to 10 years. I've included some pictures. The tiles don't seem too bad but the batons look a tad rotten hear and there. I'd like the builders to do it now as they are really good and it makes sense but the price is a lot more than I expected. I wondered what the ball park average was per m2 in outer London, especially if the scaffolding is already there.
yyears.
frontRoofBattens2.jpg
frontRoofBattens3.jpg

Sponsored Links
In light of what you have said, it's a no brainer do it now, the staining on the inner face of the tiles would indicate that they're coming towards the end of their life, you've got men there you trust, you've got the scaffolding and you've got work going on in that area anyway.
£4k seems pretty fair to me, I'm in Oxford and would expect around that figure but would expect scaffold included.

And why would you only replace the front tiles and not the rest?
The whole of the back is being replaced anyway as the dormer takes up most of the roof and what little remains on the back may as well be re-tiled. So the extra £4k quote is to do the front as well.

I did check this quotation check website for outer London prices and the front and back price on here was only a little bit more than we are being quoted for just the front.
http://quotationcheck.com/new-roof-costs/
Maybe these prices are out of date. A good local roofer quoted about £5k a few years back to do the whole roof. I could ask him again but it might be tricky for him to work around the loft company.

Thanks for you info chappers. So the Oxford price is for just the front of the house or front and back?

I would say 6 to 7k for both roofs, just had a quick look about the net and would say these prices are closer.
Why not see if you can get him back and put it to the loft guys that he should do it so they can concentrate on the conversion or get some other quotes and see what they say. You could always leave it and get it done after they have gone if you feel happier, what sort of property is it and how big is the roof I was sort of working back from your figures
I would say the price per sqm is in the ballpark

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Chappers regarding state of current roof, I definitely agree, now is the time to do it.
its 28m2 in total including the triangle bit on the front above the bay window. The roofer who quoted a few years ago has just had a quick look and says he could do it for only a little bit less if he could use their scaffold which might be a bit awkward. I asked the loft guys to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back