Vauxhall Astra 1.7TD Y reg alternator change?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
just wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction. Just been outside and my alternator is well and truly dead. Just had the AA out to confirm.
so question is, does anyone know the exact model I require, I have seen on the net and there seems to be a few different types?
also, when it comes to swapping it out, im hopefully gonna do this myself, but the way my luck is going the car will probably fall of the axle stands and crush me lol.
anyhow, when releasing the alternator and drivebelt, what is the best way to ensure the pistons dont get miss aligned, is there any alignment marks, or is it best to mark them yourself? as ya can probs tell not that clues up on cars but thought id ask the question.
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Are the alternator belt and the cam belt not 2 different things?
Do you need it on axle stands to do an alternator?

Hi,
just wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction. Just been outside and my alternator is well and truly dead. Just had the AA out to confirm.
so question is, does anyone know the exact model I require, I have seen on the net and there seems to be a few different types?
also, when it comes to swapping it out, im hopefully gonna do this myself, but the way my luck is going the car will probably fall of the axle stands and crush me lol.
anyhow, when releasing the alternator and drivebelt, what is the best way to ensure the pistons dont get miss aligned, is there any alignment marks, or is it best to mark them yourself? as ya can probs tell not that clues up on cars but thought id ask the question.
many thanks

The alternator is driven by the ancillary belt, this is usually a ribbed 'Poly V belt' it also usually drives the power steering punp and also the water pump.
This belt can be removed and replaced without, any interferance to the engine / valve timing.
The timing belt however is a different thing, this is a toothed belt, and before being removed the engine, has to be locked in a certain position, the cam timing pulley also has to be locked, before this belt is removed and /or replaced.
I'm sure you are mixing them up.

Wotan

You are mixing them up! Its deffinatly the auxillary belt that drives it, the alternator also has a vacume pump on the end of it making the job alittle more complicated for a novice, there are several connections on this that need to be removed and refitted correctly to avoid major oil leakage. If in doubt seek pro advice :)

Sponsored Links
Hi

I work in the Service Dept of my local Vauxhall Dealership.

Your Astra has Y17DT engine and you will need a 100/120amp alternator depending on whether your vehicle has Air Con or not. (120amp is for those with Air Con)

The alternator on this vehicle is like others have said driven by a poly v belt which also drives the air con compressor if fitted.

Astra-G's have electro hydraulic steering so the steering pump is not driven by the belt, but is an electric pump taking power from the alternator which is why when the alternator packs up so does the power steering.

Wouldn't recommend a novice to do this job and it is best done from below.

CJ

Back