Vauxhall Combo fuel (lift?) pump...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all, my 2010 Combo 1.3cdti seems to be testing me lately, allow me to elaborate;

Usually, on switching on the ignition, the glow plug heater lamp comes on and I hear the sound of a liquid (fuel?) being pumped. Recently that noise has disappeared, coinciding with it taking perhaps two or three extra turns on the starter motor before the engine starts. Once started it runs as normal.
My questions are:

1. Is there an electrical fuel lift pump? In the fuel tank?
2. Does this pump run continuously whilst the engine is running?
3. Does this pump stop soon after engine start?

Regards as always,
MM

Sponsored Links
Yes, there will be a primary pump in the fuel tank - this supplies the main injector pump bolted to the engine block.
It runs as long as the engine is running.....some work immediately the ignition is turned on then stop when line pressure is achieved - it remains stopped until the engine is started and then continues.
It could be worth changing the fuel filter and at the same time, examining it for any metallic particles within.
John :)

Thank you John, as always.
That initial wooshing sound of the primary pump has been missing, so I will have to investigate that before I go any further. Diesel fuel filter was changed a month ago and there was no evidence of any contamination at that time, though I'll take a look at the new filter just to be sure.

Been meaning to get a Haynes manual for a long time, I think now is that time again.

MM

Sponsored Links
Shortly before changing the battery (for reasons unrelated) I noticed the wooshing noise of the lift pump had returned, but the delay in starting persisted until, with the new battery and a marginally faster cranking speed, normal starting has resumed.
Haynes manual on order...

Back