veg oil as a fuel? really?

Sponsored Links
dabaldie said:
is this correct?
I drive 600miles per week for a commute and this would save a fortune.

http://www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/vegoil.htm

advice please?

i read that site a few weeks. i was thinkin about tryin it but would rather ask other people who have tried it first. not that i do 600 miles/week.. more like 200-250

Of course, instead of driving 60 miles every morning and every evening you could move nearer your work/work from home and save the money that way :confused:

Perhaps if you speak to your company regarding home-working? It's all the rage! ;)

I do try and work from home when i can (i really love being sat in the car for 1:30 every every morn and eve). But if you had a boss like mine then you'd understand why he wont let ANY staff work where he cant see them.
They spend all the time on the internet posting messages.. :p :p

i thought about moving closer.. problem is the missus works 40 miles in the opposite direction.. and house prices in cornwall are stupid compared to plymouth.

Cornwall: 3 bed end terrace (in a semi decent area) £275k :eek:
Plymouth: 3 bed end terrace (in a semi decent area) £150k :)

cheaper to live in plymouth and commute!

and as for trying to use public transport.... dont even go there.. if i want to get into work at 7am and leave at 7pm and spend 1hr on the train and then 45 mins on a bus....
:eek:

Sponsored Links
just make sure you pay the duty

by his calculations its about 16p a litre as he recons £10 in 60L

is that as good as you thought!!!! dabaldie:cool:

how do they check that you have paid duty or not then?.. can they do roadside tests for veg oil? i know they can for red.

dont know the answer :cry: :cry:

the smell perhaps :D :D :D ;)

remember you do the taxman and get caught they tend to overestimate your tax quite drastickly and you try prooving otherwise :cry:

One way you could make a slight gain on tax (in addition to the cheaper rate) is that mpg is generally less when using veggie oil. So, keep a record of mileage, show that your car averages 40mpg (instead of e.g. 35mpg on veggie).

Of course, I would have to say that if you can legally run your diesel car on 35p a litre of veggie oil (including duty) then you should be happy!!! :LOL:

I posted a link recently, can't be a**ed to find it right now. But the gist was: raw veggie oil can gum up your injectors (think of the hardened spots of polymerised oil you get if you don't wipe cooking oil spatters off whilst fresh). So you need to add a solvent that will help disolve that. Also, valves wore out more quickly, you need to preheat the fuel (more viscuous at room temperature) and need a stronger fuel pump.

I would be interested to see if adding two-stroke oil would help the lubrication/solvent issues.

Diesel engines can run on pretty much anything. IIRC Rudolph originally planned to use coal dust! My neighbour (who has experimented with cooking oil) once filled his Renault Kangoo up with petrol... managed to get a couple of gallons of diesel in too, once he noticed. He said the engine was a bit rough but he stopped frequently to put another gallon of diesel in and dilute the petrol, and after he had done a few hundred miles it was running as normal again.

Try that with a petrol engine running on diesel... :LOL:

so, has anyone on here tried veggie oil/had any experiances with it?

Shhhhhh..dont tell anyone but i tried veggie oil when i was a taxi driver..it was abit smelly but ran ok.....not sure how you would go on in winter probaly best 50/50.... :rolleyes:

djinn said:
Shhhhhh..dont tell anyone but i tried veggie oil when i was a taxi driver..it was abit smelly but ran ok.....not sure how you would go on in winter probaly best 50/50.... :rolleyes:

was it new or used? did the car lose any power or anything and how did you mix it?

for those intereted:

had about 15L of diesel in tank and added 6L of veggie oil. car ran just aswell as it did without the veggie oil and it actually seemed to have more acceleration. once tank is almost empty i will be tryin it again with different amounts.

engine is a 1.7L CDTI

another update: just filled up. put 20L diesel and 12L veggie oil in. no loss in performance and goes just aswell as it did on 100% diesel

few months ago i was asked by a farmer friend to stay in for a red diesel delivery and sign for it as he has to dash off... the tanker filled the tank, but he looked at his delivery list, comented that his next deliver was of cental heating oil, so he ran the pipe thro with central heating oil, straight into the red diesel tank. To flush it thro.... i asked him about this and he comented..same stuff just no colour in it.... and also i was talking to a bike garage guy who was telling me of a bike and sidecar mate, he had who had fitted a diesel engine and ran it on central heating oil. only trouble he had was MOT time, it ran too clean to show any emissions and he had to put real diesel in it for that. .. just some comments.

Sponsored Links
Back