Velux alternatives for glazed roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to block up a rather useless window (a shed 2ft from it) in the wall of a lean-to utility room, and replace with some form of roof light.
I dont necessarily require it to be opening and am not keen on the "sticky uppy" look of velux windows. :eek: :LOL:

I did see whilst out and about a roof which appeared to have glass panels in it, sat on the rafters, with clay tiles either side. The glazing came down to the gutter. Imagine a couple of conservatory roof panels with tiling either side.

Is this achieved with glazing bars on the rafters, or something else. How would flashing be constructed for this type of arrangement?

Our lean-to roof is sloping with double roman (I think thats the right term) clay tiles currently.

Are there any companies/websites that deal in this sort of thing? My searches invariably bring up Velux windows. I cannot even find any pictures of this type of arrangement.

Sponsored Links
Have you looked for glass tiles/ slates that would fit?

You really just need to have a traditional roof-light frame made, and installed with lead flashing.
Although if it's a habitable space, it'll obviously need to be double glazed.

Sponsored Links
Using a Velux is the simplest and safest method of introducing light into a room via the roof.

How does the "sticky uppy" thing affect you when you are inside the building? The physical benefits of a Velux outweigh the aesthetic negatives.

If you go for the 'Conservation' Velux, they stick up a bit less, and much more in-keeping with the traditional look.

Although I believe they can't be fitted at less than 35deg.

How does the "sticky uppy" thing affect you when you are inside the building?

The same way having a neon pink front door, white plastic guttering, or a wheelie bin on the front lawn would :p

Thanks for the help guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back