Velux . certificate of lawfulness

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a potential customer who has been advised to apply for a certificate of lawfulness
to install a velux window which is not something I have come across before, does
anybody know why this could be?
Ps. Its not in a conservation area or a listed building.

Sponsored Links
It in case they get a daft conveyancer when they sell the house.

I was advised to get one for a dormer, turns out I didn't need it.

There's an ldc for proposed development, catlad's situation; and an ldc for existing development, ianh's situation. Councils used to give informal advice, maybe worth seeking that first.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Ok well thanks for the info!
I have lost count of the number of windows I have fitted but this is
a first for me, I say me but I shall just leave it to the customer to
deal with. cheer's

Alterations to a roof are "building operations" and so generally require planning permission. To prevent lots of planning applications, the concept of permitted development was devised to "pre-approve" certain work and so remove the need for a formal planning application.

Fitting a roof window is permitted development as long as it does not project more then 150mm above the roof surface.

One way to validate that something is permitted development is to apply for an LDC. This is a nonsense thing as it defeats the whole point in not having to seek permission in the first place.

So whoever gave that potential customer the advice, did not give him wrong advice but may have given bad advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back