Velux window help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I’m looking at installing a couple of velux windows into a low pitch roof (11.5 deg) I have centuriun roof tiles. Anyone no if it’s going to be a problem? I’ve been reading up on it but thought I’d ask to see what others have done. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have fitted quite a few Velux windows at well below 15°. Done carefully it isn't an issue of leaking - the problem is that the roof lights have a lip at the bottom of the glass which sits at 15°. Therefore, if you fit them lower, the water doesn't shed off properly - it sits there and eventually goes green. Second issue is that electric (if that is relevant to you?) windows need 15° to open properly. Because they won't go to a negative degree, anything lower than 15 and they start opening and stop almost immediately.

Having said all that, Velux do low pitch rooflights that go down to 10°. You might want to look at those.

Do you know what sort of price I would be looking at for installation?. I can’t do the job myself. So I’ve contacted a few roofers. Iv had 4quotes back. All completely different. I have no idea where I go from here haha

The new velux low pitch skylights are triple glazed and don't have a barrier at the bottom that Jeds has mentioned because the new glass to edge technology.

Sponsored Links
Allow about £400 to £500 to install, plus the cost of window and any trims/flashings, plus access scaffold - which depends on location.

The windows will be installed into an existing extension off the kitchen. I’m just outside of London if that’s any help. My highest quote is coming in at nearly 6k surly not!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back