Velux window leaking at bottom corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a roof velux window (centre pivot) which suddenly started to leak from the right bottom corner when it rains yesterday.
I have moved into this apartment just a few months ago, but I guess that the previous tenants experienced the same problem, considering the state of the paint on the ceiling...see picture

I do not have access to the roof, so it is difficult to identify where the rain enters, but it seems to accumulate in the corner of the frame circled in red in the second picture and then falls down to the floor.

I have also taken a picture of the left bottom corner, which is not leaking. Comparing right and left, it seems that, on the leaking side, there is a small gap between the aluminum external frame and the black piece of plastic and also between the two wooden parts of the frame (see yellow arrows in picture).

Do you have any idea how to do a quick fix? I spoke to the landlord, but he minimizes the issue, probably does not want to spend money to call someone...

Thank you.

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 12,659
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 13,669
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 8,209
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 7,097
Sponsored Links
adamas, Hi

As I see it, it is the Landlord that must undertake any repair, why, because if you, how can I put it, have a go at a repair and the repair fails??? the landlord could, I stress Could hold you responsible, and require you to rectify the apparent Damage done to the landlords property? worth a thought?

if you are unable to get the Landlord to instruct a repair, then if you think you must undertake a repair then I believe that the Landlord must give direction as to how you should go about the repair, or at least fully in writing agree to your proposed repair???

Food for though?

Ken.

I'd start by clearing the moss off the sill, and checking the gutters either side.
It looks like the roof is at too shallow an angle, the sill looks as if its not letting the rain drain away fast enough.

Sponsored Links
Did this ever get fixed? I've got a velux that's leaking and it looks almost identical to your pictures. Would be really interested to know if it got sorted out.

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back