Veneered MDF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know who supplies this or similar in 40mm thickness in the UK.
Its for a set of shelves that I want to make.
Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
12mm veneered one side 2" offcuts as spacers every foot or so in a sandwich ;)

Thanks but I don't want something botched together. :(
Does 40mm sheet exist at all?

26mm is the thickest off the shelf veneered board, you could get 38mm custom veneered which would come out at 39mm but it would be very expensive for one or two sheets unless you have a veneer press which I have, even then the veneer, MDF, time etc is not cost effective unless its a timber thats not readily available.

I tend to make a sandwich of boards, for 40mm the nearest would be two layers of 13mm veneered both sides and a sheet of 15mm standard MDF in the middle, or two sheets of 19MM 2 sides to give 38mm. Slightly cheaper would be one side veneered ply on the outsides with an MDF core.

Whichever way you do it cover the edges with 50mm iron on real wood edging.

This and thisis what they look like finished and this shows the construction and its not a botch

Jason

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
Seems like a lot of work though.
:idea:
How about using a kitchen worktop? Just chop it up and veneer the edges.

Surfaces wont match as the top will be laminate, bottom paper balancer and edging wood :!: |Though Getalite laminate has a square edge and they do some nice wood grains but the underside would still not be a finished surface.

There is less effort in glueing two sheets of 19mm together than trying to move a 40mm thick sheet at around 100kg

You could use a solid wood worktop, I've done it here but can be a bit expensive and you tend to get all the finger joints showing where they use short staves.

May as well just go for solid timber if you are thinking that way but depends on what machinery you have available

Jason

Just found this local company.
http://www.cookstownpanel.com/products/index.aspx

Flatbonding :idea:
And they have the correct colour of laminate I require for 38mm c3 chipboard.
Thanks again.
Just been looking through your photo album Jasonb. Very impressive.
A lot of effort required to obtain that kind of quality.

Hope you have got something decent to cut it with to avoid chipping the edge. If not cut a few mm oversize and trim with a router.

Jason

Just received a quotation.
The 38 mm x 3m x .6m laminated with concept oak are £100 per unit.
I think I need about three of these. Sound expensive?
Yes I have the festool equipment for sawing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back