Vent shape on wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So another thread about some damp from I think I should change my name on to got damp. In my box bedroom there is a vent on the outer wall but on the inner wall it has been plastered over. I think the wall is the plasterboard as sounds hollow when tapped. But the problem is you can see a square patch on the wall where the vent is. Now the real problem rain is getting in and travelling along the wall and blown a bit of plasterboard.

Now what do you diyers think the best thing would be do to put a hole in to see the vent and put a vent in to the room. Thanks for putting up with me.

Sponsored Links
Photos of the outside and the inside of the room/vent would help.
Please show detail, and the whole wall with the vent and blown p/b.
Is that outside wall solid?

You can't really see the shape that well but it is in line with the curtain rail on the far right. Then that's the damage that's been done by it what would be the best solution here.

1 rip all plasterboard off window and wall to see the vent and the framework.
2 put a seeing hole where the vent is to see if the water is travelling from there.
3 something else?

The water I think is coming from the guttering but should this room have a vent in. I bought the house from a cowboy oh wait I mean builder as found a few bodge bits so far.

But today's job is get up to guttering and find out what's going on there.

Attachments

• IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 100
If you think the water is coming from guttering then deal with that - It maybe all you really need to do. Always keep the roof and guttering in top shape.

If this is an old property refurbished then I would not be surprised to find old room vents. On a personal level I always retain them as some ventilation in the room is a very good idea, although much may depend on the windows that have been replaced. If the windows have trickle vents then good, use them and brick up the old vent. If no trickle vents then I would be inclined to use the original vent. That vent area is often a cold spot and condensation is fairly common at certain times.

Condensation around the new windows is simply a common issue where the rooms are not adequately heated and ventilated for an older property. There is a frequently a cold bridge around the window. Loads of posts on the forum about that. With the condensation and high humidty comes the mould.

Sponsored Links
So had a good rummage around guttering today and think I have found and hopefully sorted the problem. The guttering on my house is built into the wall and does hang on like normal guttering. Where there is a join in the gutter it has had what I think is foil tape and sticky stuff on it to hold it down and make waterproof. This had become distorted and got full of debris from trees. So fingers in scraped as much as I could of the mud out a little rinse and dried. Then flattened back into a shape best I could and filled the gaps with as much exterior silicon I fit in squashed it all down so hopefully good to go.

Talking to neighbour as well and found out the guttering sits on top of the cavity and when it leaks guess where it goes yeah you got it right in the middle of the walls. They have had issues trying to find where it coming in on their house so hopefully I e sorted this issue out. The next step is hopefully letting the plaster dry out then rectify the that one.

So think I have found a solution to my problem and yet another problem to fix. The leak seems to be coming from my guttering where a join is where there used to be weeds living. I removed weeds mud etc and packed with silicon in a attempt to seal and this failed. I have what I think is finlock guttering so when it leaks it goes straight down the cavity. This wouldn't be a problem but some fool decided that CWI was a good idea at some point.

That's the problem to fix and the solution I think is put plastic guttering in my tray all the way to each drain off point.i know this won't fix the immediate problem of the guttering leaks but surely it will help it a lot as water will not be running down my wall. Has anyone done this and think that's a damn good idea or will I be making life harder for,shelf down the line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back