Ventilation options for tanked chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im in the process of having my kitchen tanked with membrane - walls and floors. But wondering the best way to ventilate the chimney breast. On my other chimney i have vents at the bottom, inside the rooms. However poking holes in the new wall DPM mesh, in the kitchen, hopefully is not my only option! It has a cowl on the top, and my plan was ventilating from outside. However Ive read on a few forums that this could cause as many issues as it solves ... Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No reason not to put air brick outside as long as its above dpc level, presumably its a single flue if serving just the kitchen.

Blup

Thanks for the reply Blup. (Yep single flue on this chimney). Would there be any harm I wonder, if the ventilation hole was placed 1m+ or so high, or does it need to be near the base of the chimney ideally?

The nearer the base the better in case you get a bit of condensation which would sink towards the base area.
If the fresh air is coming in there then it will help to keep it drier.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Conny, that makes good sense. Ill see what i can suss :)

If there is an old gravity boiler built into, and blocks off, the bottom of the flue that might interfere with air flow, otherwise ok.

Blup

no nothing .. flue just goes straight to what is now an open fire place (think there was a solid fuel boiler at some point in the past.. )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back