Veritas 8 - SAB sounding on power fail (and other strange behaviour)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello DIYNot

I have some weird unexplained behaviour with the alarm of the house that I've moved into. When the power fails the SAB sounds and the panel loses power.

At first I thought it was the panel battery as that was dropping to 8v. Swapped the battery, green solid unset light on panel now showing.

Tried a test by disconnecting the power at the MCB for the alarm. SAB sounds. Voltage on 12v on the feed to the siren drops to zero. Still over 12.6v on the battery input to the panel.

Reconnect mains power, SAB stops.

Checked all glass fuses on the board, all have continuity.

Also since doing this the panel now alarms (full alarm, not tamper) on zone 2 even when set or in engineering mode. It will remain silent until someone walks past the zone. The alarm can be set otherwise.

Any suggestions? Knackered panel?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yes, took the fuse out the holder and checked with the multimeter, not just visually. There's continuity on it.

I cannot work out the zone 2 problem either. It's almost like it's a 24 hour point except it isn't and isn't engineering mode meant to hold that off too..?

I think I'm going to change the panel and RKP (programming on a non LCD panel isn't that much fun) Not looking for anything fancy and want it to fit in the existing place so was thinking a Texacom Veritas Excel. They an OK basic panel?

Crocodile clips onto the battery to the hold off for the duration of the panel change?

Sponsored Links
Wiring all the same? I want to minimise the amount of time I need to swap it over.

Texacom Oddysey SAB, Texacom PIRs I all want to reuse. Not using EOL as current panel doesn't support it.

The euro mini mounts vertical so would need to move some of the cabling there though shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Where can I get an installation manual for a euromini panel as I did look at that?

Yes you can use all devices , you need to set it to non eol ...Google castle euromini

Thanks. I found the installation manual. Will probably take me an hour longer than the texacom unit because of having to move some trunking but that's fine.

Seems like a good unit for the price and I much prefer metal to brittle plastic.

Do you know if the texacom oddysey sirens on pulsing the strobe 3 times to put them in hold off mode if that also puts them in hold off for power disconnect? Otherwise I'll have to let the siren chirp a few times as I keep reconnecting the hold off to the battery.

The neighbours seem to come round and have a look when the alarm goes off which is good, hence why I want to fix this as I don't want them to get used to it been a nuisance all the time. The system clearly hasn't been maintained at all.

Fitted the euromini today. Held the siren off using a battery for the majority of the install.

New panel works off mains and battery so that's a start but hit two odd issues.

On the test strobe and siren the siren does not activate. The strobe does. Measuring the voltage on the panel terminals between permanent 12v and bell trigger only see about half a volt. I can see a full 12v on the strobe trigger.

When trying to set the alarm during the exit countdown the SAB activates. The system seems to still be counting down the exit timer still.

The system has zone 1 configured as 24 tamper as I'm using that as my tamper loop. Zone 2 in my hallway is an entrance/exit zone. All others are set to intruder..

The walk test completes fine with activity picked up on the expected zone input. The system doesn't indicate any tamper faults.

Any idea what is causing the two issues above?

Thanks!

You mean the wiring inside the bell box and the bell connections on the PCB?

Go into programming what do you have for output 3 ? Did you change any panel outputs ?

Is that this? I can't promise that's what it had before.

Would that cause the immediate alarm when trying to set if it was wrong? I started the panel and defaulted it with code 2000.

Also confused as to why the bell test wouldn't sound the sounder.

Attachments

• IMG_20170603_205316.jpg
    IMG_20170603_205316.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 228
Here's the SAB wiring panel side. From my notes before

Red +12v hold
Black 0v hold
Green Tamper
Blue Strobe Trigger
Yellow Bell Trigger

This was as wired in the previous panel. Measuring direct on terminals between red and yellow during siren test get about half a volt, seems that is always there.

When the siren test is running can measure 13v or do between red and blue though. That normally reads nothing at all.

Do you think that output been set wrong (I think it was) would affect that too as well as setting? I won't try again tonight as it's getting late to annoy the neighbours.

Thanks for the continued help, I really do appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_20170603_204906.jpg
    IMG_20170603_204906.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 218
That looks ok , take out the yellow wire and touch it onto 0v , bell should ring
Post picture of external bellbox

I can't open the SAB as I don't have a set of long enough ladders to do so. It was sounding on full alarm before the panel change though and definitely using the same wires as before.

Should I not be able to detect a voltage between permanent hold off and bell trigger during the siren test as there was no change during test?

Let's say that output was totally wrong (and I think it was) would that change the siren test? What is output 3? Is that the SAB connections? I have inputs on all zones except zone 1. All zones show as closed unless I walk past a sensor, when it opens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back