Veritas R8 bell box in erratic alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi group, we have a Veritas R8 alarm on the house, when we got cats we disabled the alarm as they were constantly setting it off. This was about 20 months ago. We have now sold the house and I have re-connected the system for the new tenants, I noticed the tamper LED is on and I can't remove it on the keypad. On the first night the alarm panel box sounder went into alarm, as though it had been tampered with, second day the outside alarm bell box went off at 04:30 in the morning. The next morning at 05:00 the alarm bell box outside went into alarm again, but there was no indication of this on either the keypad, of alarm panel box, green LED'S were steady with no sound, entering the code had no effect, I had to kill the power and pull the battery terminal off to stop it. After an hour I reconnected and left the house, when I got home 3 hours later it was a repeat of the above, bell box in alarm but no other indication, couldn't silence alarm by the keypad. On all these occasions the alarm was not armed.
Any suggestion would be gratefully appreciated, we exchange contracts in two weeks and would really like to rectify it.
Kindest regards Otto

Sponsored Links
first what bell box is it ? what do you mean by disabled the system powered down ? did you do it and did you re power the system ? have you replaced the alarm battery ? it could be faulty bell box water ingress.

first what bell box is it ? what do you mean by disabled the system powered down ? did you do it and did you re power the system ? have you replaced the alarm battery ? it could be faulty bell box water ingress.

Thanks for the prompt reply, I'm not sure what make the bell box is, its quite high up, no markings on it, I'll get the ladder out tomorrow and get a few pictures. By disabled I mean, I turned the power off at the fused spur, and removed the battery terminals, re-powering was basically the same in reverse. No I haven't changed the battery, I did check it and it ran the bell alarm whilst the power was off for a few minutes before I reset it. One thing I forgot to mention, when I returned home today with the outside bell box in alarm, the tone was erratic, sounding at different frequencies which I have never noticed before?
Regards Otto

Sponsored Links
first thing change battery, the external bell " may " have a nicad fitted inside it may be faulty they sometimes split. the panel may be trying to charge a faulty battery in the bell box ive seen it before and it can pull the voltage down to around 5-8volts and this could be causing the erratic sounds or it could be water damage.

Thanks guys, when you say change the battery, are you referring to the one in the bell box? (if fitted) or should I just change both to be sure ( one in bell box if fitted, and the 12v brick in the control panel.
Regards Otto

The likelihood is that you have corrosion in the outside sounder tamper spring/switch. This will cause the sounder to lose the 12v 'hold off' and the 'different' sound is the 6v Nicad running out of juice.

Fook all to do with the main panel battery.

Try linking the 0v and TR in the panel.

No it won't. Not if it is factual and accurate like everyone elses.

Well, it's got to a stage now, where my posts are deleted by the moderators whether they are useful or not and even when there is no abuse in them, and I don't want to say 'Boo' to any of the old guard, since they appear to have undivided protection.

Three things that could be seen as mildly abusive

[1] Calling people "chickens"

[2] stating you are better than everyy one else

[3] stating that your posts are educating the people who out of concern are correcting your errors.

Even if that is not abusive it is unpleasant behaviour and totally un-necessary.

Cast the mote out of thine own eye before casting the beem out of your brother's. Look it up Bernard.

Try linking the 0v and TR in the panel.

Crikey, I only went out on night shift, have I missed something?
Getting back to topic, linking 0v & TR, I guess these are in the main panel, not going to open it this morning or I'll have the whole street up again, I'll have a squint when I get up.
Thank you guys for the help.
Regards Otto

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back