Veritas R8 bell box in erratic alarm

It links out the dodgy switch in the siren unit that often plays up. If all goes quiet then you'll know that it either needs replacing or cleaning up.

Sponsored Links
Linking 0v and TR will not always help... If the alarm has been going off inside as well as outside, this will stop the former but not necessarily the latter. So it will wake up the neighbours but not you! ;)

Some bells have a "mind of their own" and generate tampers when their own NiCd battery is failing - usually in cold weather. I think it's time to get the ladders out and check the connections, switches and battery in the bell. You never know, the tamper switch might appreciate a little excercise...

Good post Eighty Two, you've got your finger on the pulse. However, it could be down to the standby battery also, so those are the two areas I would contemplate.

Nothing to do with the standby battery.

It always turns out to be the micro switch.

Why do you think it is the battery?

Sponsored Links
I don't need to tell an amateur anything, if he professes to know it all. I'll help the public joe, I won't help you. Read up on your correspondence course, it might give you a clue.

No, "In other words" go and get some real experience. Oh ! but you have, since you have stated on many an occasion that you have installed 1000 systems in 25 years, that's correct joe isn't it. Are you going to deny that one as well, or twist it in some way ?

Could not see a TR or 0v in the panel, could see a "T" and a "R". Opened the bell box, not a pretty sight. See pictures below, looks like there could be a few dry joints on there, hoping to get them soldered in next hour. Had my fluke on the micro switch and was getting conductivity in both the open & closed position, tried it again then got nothing, thought it better to remove the PCB and give it a clean. The wire came off the switch on removal, is the switch in the normally open or normally closed position when in situ? will clean with switch cleaning lubricant also.
[/img][/code]

If I link TS2 & TS3 on the microswitch, will this bypass the tamper facility?
Markings on PCB are - PCB100081/issue 8
Thanks in advance for all your help guys, its very much appreciated. Otto

Hi Ottosump, yes linking the two wires together will by-pass the tamper switch. The tamper circuit is just a N/C loop

Looking at the other photo's it would be worth replacing the sounder, I would reccomend a Texecom Odyssey sounder to keep things simple.

It would be a simple case of connecting like for like on the panel and sounder, A to A, B to B, C to C, D to D and S to S

The odyssey sounder has an Engineer Hold Off and is available in a number of designs and also as an "E" model that has one siren so slightly less output. 115db or 109db.

first thing change battery, the external bell " may " have a nicad fitted inside it may be faulty they sometimes split. the panel may be trying to charge a faulty battery in the bell box ive seen it before and it can pull the voltage down to around 5-8volts and this could be causing the erratic sounds or it could be water damage.

as stated water damage replace bell box

I strongly agree with SandyLyon, one look at the PCB and in the bin it goes.

Of course if you want another problem in the near future .........

Seriously, it's really not worth messing about with a soldering iron, a new box will look good too.

Thanks for the advice guys, can you suggest a box which will be compatible with my unit, is the wiring standard across the boxes.
Regards Otto

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back