Very basic loft conversion. Who is needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all.
As a lot of people I have found myself working from home and needing somewhere to be more private while working on sensitive material.

We have always planned on doing a full dorma loft conversion at some point, but in the mean time I’d just like to use the space up there.

I’m happy using ladders. We’ll get it well insulated, probably put in a single window south facing. Floor to ceiling OSB for that creative studio look. All of that shouldn’t be a problem and I don’t think I need any planning permission right?

Problem is the beam supports...
They eat up all the space and while I could live with walking over them, I think it would make it hard to fit a desk at the end.

There’s 3 pairs of these. What can I do with them? Can a builder just make vertical supports out of them Without including anyone else? Or Do I need a structural engineer or architect etc.

I need to keep the costs down as who knows if I’ll be allowed to keep on working from home in the future.

Thanks for any advice. Obviously I don’t want to just go running to the first builder who tells me it’s no problem and end up with a collapsing roof.

Christian

748477DD-EC31-4AD1-BD36-B2E94C983C79.jpeg 32F9DBA7-24C0-4356-8BF4-6614DFE2D271.jpeg 9BE877CF-6E9B-443B-87AB-EE77927DF497.jpeg E2EB75B5-1987-49F0-AF76-1880F4303BE8.jpeg

Sponsored Links
As a BCO I would treat this as a habitable space and would apply the full B Regs.

If you plan to ever convert it, do it once, do it right first time. You will save in the long run.

As a BCO I would treat this as a habitable space and would apply the full B Regs.

What qualifications do you need to become a BCO? And did you become one early on or did you have a different career to begin with?

Sponsored Links
How big is your loft hatch to get a racing bike up there?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Also ask your accountant if you can claim your loft conversion to use as an office.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back