very high earth loop impedence zs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI THERE,

i have just installed an earth spike and new 17th edition board on a property as it did not comply with the regulations as the property is going to be rented out

i was informed that the water supply was had been changed to plastic giving the house no earth wots so ever

this the reason i installed an earth spike

i have since swapped the board and installed an earth spike but still getting high readings.

should i put another earth spike on top going deeper,this property is also very old and some of the sockets are not the newest,should i consider swapping all socket fronts?

please give us a clue as im in the middle of the job

thankyou regards

Sponsored Links
You need the rod to read less than 200 ohms with an earth fault loop impedance tester, you can get extendable rods which you keep driving in until you get the resistance low enough, or a grid in the ground, or earth tape in a trench.

yeah to a certain extent

i have made it into a tt system, pme with the gas and earth bonded
how ever the pipes have since been changed to plastic in the road

Sponsored Links
is it possible to get the readings down with out having a earth rod tester, as this would be megger buks?

or is it jus trial and error and install another earth rod on top

i get the same reading with the gas and water disconnected, not that they would make any differance with them now pastic in the road,is that not right?

regards

PME is TN-CS, the Ze shouldn't exceed 0.35 ohms - the earthing conductor is supplied from the DNO service head.

TT is where you have an earth electrode as your means of earthing, the measurement of it using an EFLI tester should not exceed 200 ohms.

You should not be relying upon the public water or gas service to provide an earth path, you need to provide your own reliable path.

yeah and that is why i have put an earth spike in and it has made no differance

im asking what can i do to rectify this?

on one of the sockets im getting like 28.0 ohms
regards

What are the earthing arrangements?
Have the DNO previously supplied an earth? If so, they should maintain it.
Have you measured Ze?

have you contacted the supplier to see if a PME earth is available for your installation?

it may be that they just never put an earth cable into the head..

on one of the sockets im getting like 28.0 ohms

What is you Ze? Have you done R1+R2's to ensure between ccu and sockets/lighting is ok? As said above the maximum is 200ohms with RCD protection, you could try driving in another rod. How deep have you gone so far?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back