Very high economy 7 bill from tenants - how possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I rent a small flat thru Airbnb so bills are included. My last guest, who stayed for a month, has racked up a huge electricity bill specifically on the economy 7 rate. I’ve only had this happen once before in 2 years but it was a much shorter stay so it didn’t bother me.
All we have on the economy 7 rate is 2 storage heaters and 1 hwc. It’s not something that’s adjustable by guests. All other guests in last 2 years, regardless of season, have had a ‘normal’ economy 7 reading.
What on earth could they have done to produce such an increase?
£120 on economy 7 rate only in 30 days!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
what time of year?

is there a tumbledrier?

Is the hot water from your cylinder abnormally hot?

Do your meter readings tally up with the amounts

Hi. Yes, because I’m not getting the amounts/details off a bill I’m getting them direct from the meter. I take a reading at the start and end of a guests stay.

I’ve done this for 2 years so I know exactly what to expect from my bill. Hence why I notice when there’s been high usage from a particular guest.

You haven't had a "smart" meter fitted there have you?

Running their own fan heaters? I know people that take their own along to holiday lets...

Overnight electric car charging?

I could be wrong but I make that about £4 a day; at £0.071 per offpeak kWh is 56kWh or 7 kWh for 8 hours. Unlikely to be a heating load only at off-peak time.

Check the cooker point for scratches indicating a temporary connection :D

If it is a true E7 set up the whole place will be on off peak for 7 hours

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back