Very High Gas Bill - Using a Baxi Boiler

What model Baxi is it and what controls does it have, If old system it may just be a stuck anti gravity valve causing heating to come on with the HW if it`s been upgraded it may be a duff motorised valve. BG will now take any boiler on to contact that they can still get parts for, that then gives them opportunity to sell you a boiler next year .

I have never heard of any area refuse to take a boiler onto contract because it`s a back boiler. Can never understand why people are scared to work on back boilers if they know there job and service it correctly there should be no problem at all

Sponsored Links
I have no problem working on BBUs however in spite of warning owners and particularly tenants NOT to cover ventilation grills I still feel nervous of the problems it would cause if anyone was injured or killed by abusing a system that I had serviced.

An accountant with a wife and three small children in a nice 4-bed detached house had neatly taped over the vent and they were probably only saved because I had gone to quote for a replacement roof cistern and she asked me "could you just have a look at the orange flames" !!!

Tony

I am not sure if BG will still take on old BBU installations

Unless the boiler is under 10 years old I don't think BG will be interested TBH. But you could always try.

they will take on any boiler they can get parts for regardless of age. they also do a LL cert for £24.

i have an uncle that works for British gas as a service tech.

From what he says BG will not service a BBU and if they do they will try to condemn the system asap.

thats the kind of engineer they need to boot, utter nonsense :rolleyes:

..cheers nickso .. just been on the BG website and see the PropertyCare for Landlords website .. will give them a call tomorrow .. hopefully they'll say that the BAXI boiler I have is supported ....

Will then get a Gas Safety cert as well ...

Sponsored Links
if its a 552 or 401 you should be ok. if its a 551 forget it.

oh and if the ventilation is at risk your wasting your money too.

nickso said:
they will take on any boiler they can get parts for regardless of age. they also do a LL cert for £24.

the only way i can see BG doing it that cheap is if they condemn everything in sight. in my view this is a very shady business practice

I think that £24 is an "add on" to a service or maintenance contract and not a stand alone CP12 !!!

We charge £35 as an add on to a service or repair.

Tony

I've decided to get BG to service the boiler and issue a Landlord certificate. Let's see what 'extras' they come up with ...

Couldn't get an independant local CORGI tradesperson to come have a look.

Will keep you updated.

Don`t be surprised if they offer you a new boiler.Parts no longer available etc.
My opinion as a landlord and an RGI is rip it out and get new system fitted.

You will never have to worry about tenants getting CO poisoning and you will be able to claim your expediture against your tax bill anyway.

Win ,Win siuation to me.

And you and your tenants can sleep safely at night

Paul

mehran said:
nickso said:

the only way i can see BG doing it that cheap is if they condemn everything in sight. in my view this is a very shady business practice

er.....what? :confused:

Don`t be surprised if they offer you a new boiler.Parts no longer available etc.
My opinion as a landlord and an RGI is rip it out and get new system fitted.

they should be offering a new boiler as a matter of course....absolutely nothing wrong with that. if however the reason they give is lack of parts then that is of course wrong.

i also dont understand peoples love affair with the bbu.....junk that needs replacing in my view.

I think that £24 is an "add on" to a service or maintenance contract and not a stand alone CP12 !!!

We charge £35 as an add on to a service or repair

that could be the case, im not actually sure. i think it can still be done on a stand alone service though.

I've decided to get BG to service the boiler and issue a Landlord certificate. Let's see what 'extras' they come up with ...

they will either do it or they wont. there will be no "extras" unless you ask for them.

Agile said:
We charge £35 as an add on to a service or repair.

Muggins here only charges an extra £5 for the actual certificate on top of normal appliances service :cry:

Your cheap gas4you!

I charge certificates depending on amount of appliances.

A service (depending on appliance will) will vary from 20-35 quid if carried out on the LLC

For example, a cert on 1 appliance with a wall boiler service will be 70 quid.

Im considered very cheap in south Beds

David

I'm £55 for first appliance then £30 each other appliance plus the £5 l/lord cert.

gas4you said:
I'm £55 for first appliance then £30 each other appliance plus the £5 l/lord cert.

Oh, not so cheap!

Fancy a beer when In Norfolk next month?

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back