Very hot combi pump, question re advice given

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pump seems to be moving the water, however Pump is getting very hot indeed, I've removed the small metal disk and it does spin freely and doesn't make a noise, please look at attached advice, is this suggesting that I turn boiler back on with the metal disc removed? Won't that throw scalding water at me??

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-29-18-04-10.png
    Screenshot_2021-12-29-18-04-10.png
    162.5 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
It might run at 85 degrees depending on the settings...that's always going to feel boiling hot given bathing temp is 40-45 degrees.

Is it hotter than the pipes going into it?

your pump is meant to be hot it has very hot water passing through it

Sponsored Links
OK, here's the full problem, the boiler keeps short cycling, the flame stays on but dies down, initially I thought as this was affecting the water temp, hot /lukewarm it was related to the water or heat exchanger, however the boiler locks out without water on, seems water just goes cold when running and then hot again due to frequency of short cycling, so far I have changed dhw and ch thermos, I have also changed the flow meter and the Pcb, it's getting costly, I have checked pump, it is very hot, not warm, I mean very hot. I have taken disc off at front of pump, it is turning and vibrating with little noise, radiators get hot initially and as short cycling I'm assuming they cool for approx 30 seconds then boiler kicks in again, I'm at a loss, pipes going in and out of pump both very hot, could pump be working below efficency, pumping water around, however getting so hot that it locks boiler out?

1. What boiler (make and model)?
2. Does it work OK when only providing hot water? If not, what are the symptoms?
3. Does it cycle when only providing central heating? If so, likely to be a blockage somewhere in the system.
4. As stated earlier, the pump is meant to be hot while working.

It's an Optima 901. The OP has had issues for months but prefers to throw parts at it rather than calling someone out.
A 20 year old boiler with megabucks parts prices...the sensible option was to replace 10 years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back