Very hot room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My little boys bedroom is always very very warm. He has to sleep with a fan on every night. Its just getting silly now and we can't leave the large window open for obvious reasons.

Firstly, the immersion tank (not really used but always hot) is in the cupboard in his room and the hot pipes run under the floor to it. Is it very costly to have this taken out of use?

Secondly, his radiator is stuck on. Nothing we do seems to turn the thing off. How do you tackle old radiators to turn them off?

Sponsored Links
Call a plumber out to fit new radiator valves.

PS why is the radiator on? new 3/2 port valve needed.

Andy

The radiator's on because its stuck on. I'll take a picture of the valves and see if there's anything I can do to turn it off.

Sponsored Links
3_zpsddedc21a.jpg

4_zpsba998c36.jpg

I've taken the plastic cover off - is there a standard way which is the 'off' position?

So I've twisted the pin clockwise because according to the plastic anti-clockwise is ON. Radiator still red hot.

The boiler isn't off... the clue is that the radiator is hot.

Your heating system has issues that need addressing. turning the radiator off is just covering the symptoms... If you are struggling to operate radiator valves then you would be best to call someone to repair your heating

Yeah everything has issues in this house, boiler, electrics..you name it!
Unfortunately we've been hit by the job loss situation just at the perfect time everything in the house starts playing up.

Anyway, I had to use a wrench to twist the radiator in one bedroom off and it's actually gone cold, at last! Just the other one that has no top valve with a plastic cap.

Just tried to twist the valve(s) on the other one and water starts leaking out. This didn't happen with the first one...

1rad_zps1de79b64.jpg

Firstly, the immersion tank (not really used but always hot) is in the cupboard in his room and the hot pipes run under the floor to it. Is it very costly to have this taken out of use?

I suspect it is used - that's where your hot water comes from for washing etc. As others have advised, you clearly have a problem with your boiler/controls and need to sort it pronto, otherwise you will only compound your job loss situation with massive gas (assuming it's gas) bills into the bargain.

Apparently the tank in the closet is used as back up, there's a switch next to it that is usually switched off. But, as you will know from my posts, i'm rubbish at anything to do with plumbing.... the hot water must circulate through the pipes under the floor at all times, as with the radiator. Even though the heating is off the boiler is still heating the water.

At this moment in time I just want to be able to turn the radiator off in the boys room because the weather is hot and it's just a ridiculous heat in there and he's waking up at night, even with a fan on.

I guess I'll just have to borrow some money to get a plumber out to give me his verdict. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back