Very loud vibrating pipes during shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just looking for some advice before I get a plumber in to investigate this for us.

we moved in to a detached house 3 years ago, house is about 20 years old with a gravity fed system. Boiler was replaced about 6 years ago. During recent kitchen refit, fitters suggested our water pressure was incredibly high and that having such high pressure isn’t great for appliances and obviously has risks. So the plumber fitted a reduction valve with it set at 3 bar.

since then, when someone has a shower (or occasionally when washing machine is on) the water feed pipe that goes into the loft vibrates excessively. Causing incredible loud noises around the house for anything up to 5-10 minutes (or until shower ends).

If I hold the suspect pipe (in the airing cupboard) the noise reduces, so my best guess is that it’s this pipe that is loose.

question is, is this just coincidence that it occurred following the install of the reduction valve or likely related?

mains water supply comes in through the garage and valve has been installed here.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
And clip the pipe (or use rubber pipe clamps from TS etc. if clipping diesn't solve the noise problem)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back