very slipperly lino

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi we have a vinyl floor in the kitchen, about 2 years old now, but over the past few days it seems to have been really slippery - i have nearly fallen over a couple of times. Even with bare feet it is slippery - a death trap with socks on! What can we do to stop this? The "slipperiest" bit is right next to the door, which is really inconsiderate of it! :evil: any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
seems strange to suddenly go slippery :confused:
sounds like someone has lost control while spraying the furniture polish :rolleyes:
call me stupid but have you tried just giving it a really good clean :?:
(not suggesting your dirty by the way) :oops:

Crafty:

Take some masking tape and stick it to your lino in both the slippery areas and the non-slippery areas. If the masking tape pulls off easier in the slippery areas, then there's something on the surface of it which needs to be removed.

If so, try cleaning with white spirits, dry well and try the tape trick again. If the tape sticks better now, you've got an oil film of some sort on your floor. Do the same with water. It could be a soap film on the floor.

Considering the worst area is near the door, could rain or snow tracked in and melted onto the floor be the cause of the problem.

does sound like a contamination from outside

get a bit of kitcken roll give it a good rub look at and sniff it see what it tells you

what has happened over the last few days washed the car!!!!!washed the drive!!! put oil in the car!!!!! used any solvents or chemicals!!!!

basicly any thing you could link in timescale wise

Sponsored Links
hold on, its not the back door i was talking about! the door is between the kitchen and the dining room! I know i shouldnt laugh, but earlier my dog was walking through the kitchen and she was slipping around like bambi, it was ever so funny bless her!

Speaking of the dog, she frequently drags in half of the back lawn with her and deposits it nicely onto the dining room carpet. Could this mud be causing the problem? The floor looks clean, but could she be "polishing" the surface with the mud and grass?

I just had a thought. My mum's gobby hairdresser was here yesterday, and has probably been spraying hairspray and other products about. I bet this is the problem! Will probably have to just give it a good scrub later. :rolleyes:

Cheers for the suggestions!

ok other thoughts as well as the hair products hows about somthing to do with how you clean the carpet

again try rubbing the area with kitchen towel to try and find traces of whats causing the problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back