very stupid. have drilled through cooker wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off I am very aware of how idiotic I have been and close I have come to meeting the my maker. Thank god for fuse boxes.

Trying to drill a joist hole for some wire and went through the cooker cable.

I don't want to compound idiocy on top of stupidity so I need to know. Can the two ends be joined through a surface fuse box like the one used in the kitchen or does the wire need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, as you're probably aware, you should cut back any damaged/burnt cable/insulation.

Secondly, you can joint the cable, but if the joint becomes inaccessible (e.g. below floorboards) then you can't use a screw-terminal junction box. However, you could crimp the cable.

Correct crimping requires the correct tool and crimps, some knowledge, and the right amount of care to make a safe joint. If you're at all unsure about it, replace the cable.

Trying to drill a joist hole for some wire and went through the cooker cable.
I assume the cable was on the other side of the joist and you didn't check before drilling through it?

I don't want to compound idiocy on top of stupidity so I need to know. Can the two ends be joined through a surface fuse box like the one used in the kitchen or does the wire need to be replaced?
Don't know what you mean by "surface fuse box", but ideally the cable should be replaced. If you do join it, then a screwed joint (e.g. in a junction box) should be accessible for inspection & testing. If it's to be below a floor/above a ceiling then it's arguably not accessible, and therefore should be crimped or soldered.

Sponsored Links
thans for the repilies, and very lenient too considering,.

Yes it was just on the other side of the joist, I thought i was clear and of course had completely misjudged the angle.

Its inbetween floors so I'm proposing a surf`ce box that wil be accessible from the ceiling, that was why I was thinking of a fused switch such as is used for the cooker end of the circuit.
The other alternative was putting in a removabe hatch. not sure which'll look worse. But for the moment better than replacing the whole thing.

Didn't know about crimping. shall consider thatt

need a stiff drink then off to bed, been too long a night
cheers
Marko

milkman said:
...I was thinking of a fused switch such as is used for the cooker end of the circuit.
Eh? Fused?! :eek:

The other alternative was putting in a removabe hatch. not sure which'll look worse. But for the moment better than replacing the whole thing.
A junction box behind a hatch would be OK. Make sure that the conductors are immaculately prepared and the terminals done up gruntingly tight.

It would be prudent to place a note at the CU to indicate that the circuit has a jointed in it.

Its inbetween floors so I'm proposing a surf`ce box that wil be accessible from the ceiling, that was why I was thinking of a fused switch such as is used for the cooker end of the circuit.
If you don't mind something on the ceiling, why not a dry-lining box with choc-block inside and a blanking plate?

And fused switch? Is this just an oven, i.e. a 13A load, not an entire electric cooker?

Didn't know about crimping. shall consider thatt
Ratchet crimper, not cheapo car jobbie. Plenty of posts here about crimping.

What size cable?
What rating fuse/mcb?

Then make sure you purchase the correctly rated item(s) for joining the two ends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back