Vibrating Dormer Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might seem strange and I'm not sure I'm going to get an answer but I might as well ask!

My bedroom is a dormer style room. The sides are brick /block construction which are tile hung and the back is timber frame again tile hung. The window in this room is huge but the right hand side of the timber framed section vibrates quite loud when it windy. Its even loud downstairs let alone in that room.

Does anyone know whats going on here and can i fix it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
This might seem strange and I'm not sure I'm going to get an answer but I might as well ask!

My bedroom is a dormer style room. The sides are brick /block construction which are tile hung and the back is timber frame again tile hung. The window in this room is huge but the right hand side of the timber framed section vibrates quite loud when it windy. Its even loud downstairs let alone in that room.

Does anyone know whats going on here and can i fix it?

Thanks.

You need to look and see what is moving. What sort of sound exactly ?
It could be some vapour membrane flapping against something else, but its hard to say without more info.
Simon.

I've got the room striped right back at the moment as I'm trying to insulate everything. Previously I thought it might have been air getting up into the corner and hitting the plasterboard but its been windy today and its doing as much as normal.

Its like the entire frame is moving. Its hard to describe but I suppose its like a harley davidson revving.

Inadequate bracing I'd say. If you've got it stripped back it's obviously an ideal time to get it fixed. Is it a pitched or flat roof? Is there any sheathing on the outside? (plywood sheeting under the tiles)

Sponsored Links
Its a flat roof unfortunately. The back wall seems to just be tile hung with a bituminous style lining behind it and thats it from what I can tell.

I've trying to work out how I can safely insulate this wall without risking condensation.

It seems it could do with some horizontal joists added?

Not a great photo as its taken from a video I made to record the sound of the vibrating but it gives you an idea.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No bracing + no sheathing = vibration.

Whats my best option to fix this? Will just adding cross studs and then the more rigid insulation boards over the top help?

Plywood sheathing should be fixed to the external face of the dormer.

That would cost a fortune, scaffolding, taking all the tiles off etc. I'd rather put up with the vibrating or hope the cross batterns help.

What about I put plywood on the inside then insulation / vapour barrier and plasterboard? Is there any point?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back