Vibrating pipe noise on Baxi Platinum cold supply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It very much sounds like it's a plumbing problem yet it's constant the only way to silence it is to switch the boiler off which instantly stops the noise.

The noise returns as soon as you switch the boiler back on and you can feel a constant vibration in the cold water mains pipe leading up to the Baxi Platinum boiler (where it's at it's loudest).

Turning the water off at the mains stop tap does not stop it either.

I'm going back on Tuesday and thinking of changing the diverter valve but it's a stab in the dark so I'm just wondering if any of you guys have had this problem?

Just to re-cap then, it sounds like a plumbing issue but my test so far are pointing to the boiler itself.

srvotech,

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's not that type of noise.
Normally I would look at changing the tap inserts until it stops (with this type of noise).
Customer is convinced it's coming from the boiler and it does seem to be.
servotech,

Cap off/isolate cold mains to boiler,open/close/run all services, if all o.k. I would think it has to be an issue within/at boiler. Could be simply that the cold feed to boiler isn`t secured/clipped. Try running heating with mains isolated/disconnected. that shoud narrow it down.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm going back tomorrow and I've now that I've had more time to think about it...

I think that the fact that the noise seems to be coming from the boiler I'm now thinking is a ruse, so I'm going to change the tap inserts instead one by one and see if that cures it.

It is the most common cause these days of this type of noise and it's not always the tap that the noise appears to be coming from that's the faulty one.

The pipework is extremely well clipped.
servotech,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back