Vibrating Pipes at Water Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

we have a water tank in our roof. When we run the taps (hot or cold) for a few minutes (as little as filling a washing up bowl), we get a horrendous vibration through the house. The noise is really loud, enough to drown out conversation!

I popped up into the roof tonight and found out it is the pipe that feeds the cold water into the tank that is vibrating. If I rest my hand on it the vibration stops immediately.

I also noticed that the cold water tank lid was not seated properly and snapped this back into place. Hope I did the right thing because it appears to have made the vibration worse.

Apart from my tinkering, nothing has changed in the system which is as new as the house (about 5 years old).

Can anyone help please?

thanks

Richard :eek:

Sponsored Links
Wow. Is that something a simpleton like I could do? Is it normal to need replacement so quickly?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

thanks for the advice. I will give it a try. I am not bad at DIY but have never done any plumbing work. Is it a simple case of turn the water off, unscrew one, screw in the new and turn the water back on or is is trickier than that?

Also, is there a standard type of ball cock I should be looking for or should I measure something? Is it high pressure, etc?

Thanks again for your help, it is really appreciated and hopefully I can get this blooming humming/buzzing to stop!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back