Victorian door sill cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My front door sill has a metal sheet folded over it and embedded behind the tiles on the inside and into / behind the front step on the outside.

The sheet is torn and jagged. I'm going to retile the inside soon, which seems like a good opportunity to replace it. But does anyone know how much of a mess it's going to make to the outside to get it out? Is it even feasible without messing up the outdoor tiling too? I do have a longer term plan to sort out the front path and step but it would be a pain if I had to do that simultaneously with the indoor tiling just because of one bit of metal.

Separately, is this kind of metal sheet normal on Victorian terraced houses? Should I be doing a like for like replacement or is there another option I should consider? I just never look at other peoples' thresholds and I haven't been into anyone else's house in over a year so I'm clueless about this.

Attachments

• IMG_20210427_130559 small.jpg
    IMG_20210427_130559 small.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Check with a magnet, often just aluminium with care even a good Stanley blade should cut it flush with the tiles . Lots of light cuts do not try to go through in one, and for ****s sake mind your hands!
Or just screw one over the top lots on the net but you could have one made to your spec from a company like this.
https://www.metalsheets.co.uk/door-step-thresholds/

Thanks footprints. You're right - it isn't steel - so should be possible to cut through.

Sponsored Links
If Victorian, the original will probably have been copper or brass. A skilled person can bend the sheet to fit the sill.

Brass is usually polished, copper left dull.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back