Victorian DPC - Can I drill through it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Below is some handy work of mine that I need to revisit. I'm in the process of turning a coal store into a downstairs toilet but have hit a snag. The smaller (32mm) black waste pipe in the picture below is from 1 (soon to be 2) basins. The room on the other side of the wall (photo 2) is below ground level, I'm having to use a Macerator for the toilet because of this. The issue I have is that the sink waste pipe to the right is as close to that Victorian DPC as I can get it but is still too high in the room below to be of practical use to drain a sink. The macerator I'm getting has an inlet for a sink too but I'd like to not use this if possible as I don't wont the macerator to have to run every time either of the sinks is used (The pipe drains an upstairs sink too).

I'm wanting to know if it's OK to drill a downward sloping hole for a pipe going through the DPC instead? To drain the water with gravity it'll mean it'll obviously be sloping downwards so any moisture should be directed to the outside stone wall rather than then inner brick layer. Is this an OK thing to do? Would it fail building regs approval if I did this?

DPC.jpg
DPC2.jpg

Sponsored Links
It won't hurt as long as you seal the hole properly afterwards

What would properly look like? I was thinking expanding foam then either lime mortar or buff trowel mastic for the external facing bit. Does that sound right?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would not knock out a hole big enough to require expanding foam or other filling in the first place.

A hole drilled to the diameter of the pipe, and then cement grouted or silicone filled would be more proper.

I would put the sink waste into the macerator, it helps keeps the system clear. Normally the pump will only switch on when the tank is full so would not be running all the taps are on.

I think I agree with tomfe; mine is connected to a regularly-used shower, and I'm sure the volume of water helps avoid trouble. And if it does fail it will perhaps fail when the shower is being used, rather than the loo, making repairs more enjoyable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back