Viessmann boilers + Can I do all the work apart from the gas

I don’t see a problem if you work on your own installation at home, being an aeronautical engineer. I am glad though that I don’t live next door to you so when the joint does go bang, I won’t get hurt. Look at it from the other side. Would you get into a plane that was serviced by a heating engineer? In other words: do you feel it is worth risking your life, possibly your wife, children and neighbours for the sake of a few hundred quid? Kev was sort of right by the way, it was legal to do your own work at home but not anymore since the 2005 amendments of the building regs.

Sponsored Links
Yes the blue book has been signed, and the gas installation has been checked by the gas board - i believe its called a drop test.

bengasman

I personally don't think you can compare a heating engineer and aeronautical engineer in the same league. Thats no disrespect to heating engineers but you need a bit more than a city and guilds (I know this has changed now) to be an aeronatucal engineer - ie a degree to become a chartered engineer, or a HND to become an incorporated engineer.

The CAA or FAA check everything that flys, CORGI only ask you for two jobs for your inspection (I think) and you can self sign everything else off.

I would be happy to fly on an aircraft that had been serviced by a heating engineer provided he or she could read a manual and use a screwdriver (competent). I am not arogant enough to think that a heating engineer would make an incompetent aeronautical engineer but from your comments it sounds like because i'm not a heating engineer I am not competent enough to change a boiler and meet all the building regs.

Although all that has been approved by the building controls inspector.

I think myself and Muckylugs got the right idea.

As a matter of interest how much did the B I guy charge?

We've all gone on long enough about sensible engineers of various sorts working on gas. But there's simply some stuff you won't know, unless you read the books first. Eg you'd think there's no problem turning off the gas at the meter and disconnecting the output. But if faulty electrics meant there was a spark when you did it, bye bye face.

I can confirm your point about the relative tasks of the qualifications you mention having dome them. But a CEng doesn't make you a good decorator, and a good DIY'er can do a better job than a pro decorator if he spends 10 times as long over it. Horses and courses.

you hit the nail on the head there.

by BI, i assume you mean the building inspector - that was £18.75.

I was informed by the building inspector that you don't legally have to do a drop test? but i did for my own piece of mind.

Sponsored Links
The blue book (i take it you mean the Benchmark logbook) has to be signed by the installing engineer as well as the commissioning engineer. They would have to enter their CORGI number else the logbook is incomplete.

I hope the boiler does not break down during the warranty period as the makers can ask for sight of the logbook for settings and reading along with control gear installed and system treatment. If this is in doubt, calls are not for free but charged

by BI, i assume you mean the building inspector - that was £18.75.

Wow. I'll get them to check mine then I won't be liable if anything goes wrong. Surprised he had a Flue Gas Analyser.

ChrisR,

Not all installers carry Flue Anals, ( Just ask PVM) although I think they should. I fail to see how you can install a condensing boiler without one, it also comes in handy when servicing boilers

glad to see you got a building inspector who knows his job unfortunately he doesnt seem to, you do have tp do a "drop" test after installing gas pipe how else can you know if you have a gas leak or not. but hey never mind its your house and life.

we just been out ona job where the building inspector told the customer his boiler could go on a certain wall so the chap bought the boiler(condensing)hung it himself and did all pipe work himself. he had doen a nice job. we went out to fit gas pipe and found flue terminal at 1.3 meters, no guard and also on a public walkway with not PRV outlet either. but the condensate was out through wall emptying onto the pavement.

Needless to say its been moved and hes contacting building control.

Could you tell me what readings the Building Control took from the boiler, there are specific readings that need to be taken with a Viessmann boiler.

Who commissioned the boiler

What blue book, Viessmann are not in the Benchmark Scheme

It is called a Tightness test, not drop test

Why did the Gas Board test the supply

gastight, I know crogi don't make law but you must have got the impression as I did that we "ought " to be using FGA according to them. There is no BS published yet of course. As you say if BR folk are going to check installations they must have them in case they meet a condenser.

I do have an old, now uncalibrated FGA, & I don't routinely carry it

silverback said:
Could you tell me what readings the Building Control took from the boiler, there are specific readings that need to be taken with a Viessmann boiler.

Who commissioned the boiler

What blue book, Viessmann are not in the Benchmark Scheme

It is called a Tightness test, not drop test

Why did the Gas Board test the supply

why do you want to know?

Because some of the replies do not make sense

I am a Key Installer for Viessmann and as DP said some of your answers do not add up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back