Viessmann boilers + Can I do all the work apart from the gas

okay here goes,

when i bought the boiler, the chap behind the counter gave me a blue book/card and said that i needed to fill it in - this is what i thought was the blue book - the Building guy in conjunction with the gas man filled this in for me.

I have no idea what you mean by commissioning? is that who put the boiler on the wall?

leak test (tightness or whatever), i asked for because the local corgi registered cowboy that had been here before had nailed a floorboard down and squashed the gas pipe, so the cooker was getting really crap pressure.

hope this helps :D

Sponsored Links
If the guy is CORGI registered, how is he a cowboy. If he left a leak or effected gas pressure at the appliance, why did you not call him back or even contact CORGI. It would appear to be a case of pot calling the kettle black. What with boiler not commissioned, possibly system not cleaned and treated, what about part L and neumerous things a registered gas engineer would carry out during the course of the instal. Most of these would show up during the commissioning stage.

right now im confused!

as far as i was concerned, the gas saftey regulations stae that only a person deemed to be competent (acs qualified), should carry out any work on an appliance, that could effect the saftey of the appliance.

who is going to complete the gas work notification for this job?
surely building control cant officially commission the boiler?
and if so, the building control officer, is taking an awfully large amount of responsibility by signing the benchmark, as he is now responsible for the whole installation?

anybody got a sharp stanley, and an book on anatomy, because if your cheapr than the local surgoen, you can tranplate my liver for me!

pete,

i don't know if you red my previous replies, but if you phone up building controls and they come and check it afterwards, you don't have to get someone corgi registered to install the appliance.

I don't do plumbing all day, hence i don't know what you mean when you say "commission". if you would like to elaborate on that maybe i can be of more help.

Sponsored Links
PART B

GAS FITTINGS - GENERAL PROVISIONS

Qualification and supervision
3. - (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

(2) The employer of any person carrying out such work for that employer, every other employer and self-employed person who has control to any extent of such work and every employer and self-employed person who has required such work to be carried out at any place of work under his control shall ensure that paragraph (1) above is complied with in relation to such work.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

(4) The requirements of paragraph (3) above shall not apply in respect of -

(a) the replacement of a hose or regulator on a portable or mobile space heater; or

(b) the replacement of a hose connecting a re-fillable cylinder to installation pipework.

(5) An approval given pursuant to paragraph (3) above (and any withdrawal of such approval) shall be in writing and notice of it shall be given to such persons and in such manner as the Health and Safety Executive considers appropriate.

(6) The employer of any person carrying out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel in the course of his employment shall ensure that such of the following provisions of these Regulations as impose duties upon that person and are for the time being in force are complied with by that person.

(7) No person shall falsely pretend to be a member of a class of persons required to be approved under paragraph (3) above.

(8) Notwithstanding sub-paragraph (b) of regulation 2(4), when a person is carrying out work in premises referred to in that sub-paragraph in relation to a gas fitting in a vehicle, vessel or caravan -

(a) paragraphs (1), (2) and (6) of this regulation shall be complied with as respects thereto; and

(b) he shall ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, that the installation of the gas fittings and flues will not contravene the provisions of these Regulations when the gas fittings are connected to a gas supply,

except that this paragraph shall not apply where the person has reasonable grounds for believing that the vehicle, vessel or caravan will be first used for a purpose which when so used will exclude it from the application of these Regulations by virtue of sub-paragraphs (a), (c) or (e) of regulation 2(5).

Duty on employer
4. Where an employer or a self-employed person requires any work in relation to a gas fitting to be carried out at any place of work under his control or where an employer or self-employed person has control to any extent of work in relation to a gas fitting, he shall take reasonable steps to ensure that the person undertaking that work is, or is employed by, a member of a class of persons approved by the Health and Safety Executive under regulation 3(3) above.

installation & use regs

so you fitted your own boiler

then got a building inspector to sign it off

and you didnt even commission the boiler

never read so much bull in my life :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
i don't know if you red my previous replies, but if you phone up building controls and they come and check it afterwards, you don't have to get someone corgi registered to install the appliance.

I don't do plumbing all day, hence i don't know what you mean when you say "commission". if you would like to elaborate on that maybe i can be of more help.

KevPlumb

first off, are you saying i'm not competent, in order for building control to even allow me to start with the boiler, i had to hand over my chartered engineer certificate!

Incidentally How much do you charge to install a boiler?

secondly, the reason I know that building controls can sign stuff off for you is there was a bloke on working lunch going on about part P. he said and i quote if you notify building controls and they are happy with it (checked before and after installation), there is no requirement to be CORGI registered [IN your own Home]. also have a look on the first page, you will find that someone installed a boiler and phoned up their local corgi registered heating "engineer" to come and check it- similar to what i did but i got the gas board out.

lastly my installation has been checked and tested by the gas company and building controls, the gas board adjusted the boiler settings and took a CO measurement (+loads of other readings) and also plugged their computer into the boiler. I also followed the manual down to the tee and conviently because i also speak german i double checked the instructions. I also took the liberty of flushing the system to prevent premature heat exchanger failure - as per the instructions. Also the lambda (Oxygen) sensor was tested and calibrated by gas board

I don't know why you have to lay into me, I have tried to give as much info as possible, it seems to me that you are a bit annoyed that someone who is not a plumber for a living can install a boiler?

i still don't understand what commissioing means despite me asking 3 times and frankly i don't care because all i appear to get is flamed for not being a heating "engineer". I say that loosely because I don't think the average heating engineer in the UK has a clue about thermodynamics, heat transfer, nusselt numbers, turbulent flow etc which are all prevalent in heat transfer. In most US states you have to be chartered to be able to use "engineer", they should make that the case in the UK too i think. That way they can weed out the chaff.

commission means testing and measuring that the appliance has been correctly installed and tested to the manufacturers instructions as a chartered engineer you should know what commission means as a plumber/pipefitterwhatever i know and yes i can call myself an engineer my quals have it on the top.just a couple of points yes you are incompetant,reason you do not know the terms/words associated within the gas industry
you use a lot of terms that have no bearing on what your average whatever/plumber/pipefitter/gasman/etc/etc needs to know for your average install and yes i do know about some of the terms you have used plus specific heat capacity/linear stength/tensile strength and plenty of others.your posts have led others to be cautious because they do not ring quite true sorry to be harsh but a lot of people on this forum give advice freely and do not like being treated like fools.
when it comes to gaswork you are incompetant this is not a reflection on your ability to do your day job which i would assume you can do quite competently.enjoy your boiler and hotwater as you have put so much effort into having a pop at people who have tried to help you :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :rolleyes: ,sorry about the poor grammer :( :( spelling :oops:

The man behind the counter as you say, would not issue the benchmark book or any other book, all instructions and Benchmarks, if supplied would be packed with the boiler, this is not something that the supplier would issue.

Hello energizer im your kind of everyday plumber/gas fitter.
I rank myself as clever as you and a bit more. im an ex naval engineer and worked for 14 years on muclear subs. Even before i came into the "thick" industry and you label it i knew what "commision" something meant. Basically it means make sure something works as it should without going into thermo dynamics or nuclear theory.
I have a degree and am also a chartered engineer, if possible any chance you could tell me how to become as clever as you. :p

your not competant because you aint paid.your not even as confused as a corgi engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back