Viessmann or Worcester ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to replace our gas CH boiler. We need a regular boiler for our open vented system plumbed Y plan with a rating of around 15kw.

The efficiency and warranty of the Viessmann Vitodens 100 WB-1 18kw looks attractive,but reading on here there seems to be some reliability issues with other Viessmann models.

The Worcester Greenstar 15ri looks good though slightly less efficient and shorter warranty. I have found no reference to this boiler in respect of reliability.

Any comments / information / guidance / opinions will be most appreciated.

Pete D

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the Broag Remeha Avanta boilers.

Don't be too worried about small differences in the efficiencies of various boilers. They are measured in strict laboratory conditions. Sedbuk give this warning:

"Boiler efficiency tests are subject to a degree of measurement uncertainty. Consequently small differences in the efficiency values calculated from them are not significant and should not be relied on when comparing boilers. Statistical analysis suggests that if two boilers have SEDBUK values 3 percentage points apart then there is 95% confidence that the boiler with the higher value is more efficient."

Put it another way there is no significant difference between an A rated boiler which is 90% and the best which is 91.5%. You have to change to a B rated boiler before you notice any difference.

Don't be confused by the very high efficiency figures (over 100%) stated by some manufacturers. This is because they are using the German DIN standard, which measures efficiency in a completely different way.

Thank you for those replies.

I was surprised to learn of the Viessmann reliability problems and pleased to hear they are resolved now. I have always felt comfortable with German engineered products.

I guess as Bosch are involved with Worcester now there is a German aspect to both Viessmann and Worcester.

Are serviceing costs likely to be similar for both makes ?

I can't find a local engineer with any knowledge of the Broag Remeha Avanta boiler types.

Is there anything else I should be considering regarding Viessmann ?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I can't find a local engineer with any knowledge of the Broag Remeha Avanta boiler types.
Phone Broag (Tel: 0118 978 3434) and ask for the name of their local stockist. Then phone the stockist and ask the names etc of any installers who have installed them.

Thank you for the phone number.

I can't see a regular boiler in the range. I need a boiler for an open vented heating and water tank.

Does a system boiler suit a heating cicuit with a header tank ?

Thanks

I'd go with the Viessmann personally, but you will get alot of diffrent opinions here. Im not a fan of Remehas :(

Intergas combi boiler can be used on open vent or sealed system absolutely the best boiler i,ve seen in years :) nothing to go wrong its an installers dream. flow rates for DHW are very good. I've been using Veissmann100 but not anymore

put a 24Ri in the other day.
wasn't that impressed with it
stick with vaillant mainly, used a GW betacom the other day and was pleased with how straight forward it was for fitting.

from an engineers point of view on ease of fixability, viessmann all the way.an installers point of view it begs to differ.yet customer service, it has to be WB.but personally alls i fit is viesmann,(choice only) i love em.and i think in the furutre they will catch WB. on there great rapore with the installer and customer.

Intergas boilers are really the one boiler to rule them all :LOL:

the combi can be use as a:

open vented heat only boiler
open vented combi
seal system boiler
seal system combi
water heater(dry... as in not water in CH side)

the one boiler can do that....the one :eek:

great, yet viessmann do all that except open vent combi,wich is easy to get around.and if i wanted a water heater id get a rinnai.

Just a note on viessmann custard services. I got one of the first vitodens in the country and ended up having every problem they became infamous for. Viessmann came and repaired it everytime without fuss even though it was more than 4 years old. After they updated their boiler to the current version I rang them and they sent me one to replace my old one free gratis. Canna get vexed with that.
They released a complete dog of a boiler, found out how to make it better then re-released it. German efficiency!
Baxi release a dog of a boiler, find out the problems then release a completely different boiler as a replacement. al la bahama to genesis!!

It seems as though Viessmann is winning this battle of the titans to me, unless all you fans have shares in VM !

It is not really viable for us to have a combi or any boiler that needs to run on a pressurised system, so its a regular vented heat only boiler really.

Its nice to hear Viessmann have sorted out all the problems that seem to have given them a bad name a year or so ago, and I assume the support from their UK head office has improved as that was said to be awful a while back and now no one has complained of it here.

Looking at the brochure the Vitodens 100 looks to be designed with ease of service and maintenance in mind.

Many thanks for everyones advice.

Pete D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back