Vinyl wallpaper or liner paper to hide problem walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just split a room with a stud wall (thanks to the guys in the Building forum), and want to know the best way to make it look reasonable. This needs to be balanced by time and cost - baby due in 1 week. You can imagine the problem - getting it in the neck from a very hormonal other half!

The rooms are made up of 3 types of wall:
1. So there is currently the new stud wall, which I am planning to tape and fill.
2. The external walls with old plaster (house built 1890).
3. An old stud wall (probably 50's) with ply instead of plasterboard.

As the old wallpaper is in bad condition my plan is to remove this (as well as I can from the ply!) and cover the whole room in new paper. I would get re-skimmed but don't have the time, especially as I would have to board over the ply. Think i will leave the ceiling paper as it is not too bad.

The other half has picked out some "superfresco" vinyl paper as she says it will cover the lumps and bumps well. I'm not too keen, would lining paper do a good enough job so that we could just paint?

She has also chosen some homebase silk emulsion in a baby blue.......

So, does this sound like an OK plan?

Thanks,
Jim

Sponsored Links
if your going for the "graham and brown" flat backed superfresco type paper then it should work well as a temp cover/tidy up for now ,
as even when its been painted a few times it's still fairly easy to strip in the future ,the front should peel off just leaving the backing paper will will scrape off fine when soaked,

The element of speed here seems to be the important factor, reading your post I would in the norm advise to face fill and apply an oil based primer sealer, and when dry to size with a thinned out paste solution before hanging your paper.

However I can't see the condition of that lumpy bumpy wall so I cant really advise on the correct course of action.

I think here lining could be your best bet, there is a product called wallrock fiberliner, this although a little more expensive can hide a multitude of sins.

Give my regards to that baba

Dec.

Thank you both. I have peeled back some of the wallpaper. Picture below and of the other walls.

Based on the pics do you think wallrock fiberliner would look ok if just painted or best to go with the superfresco?

With these two types does it really make a big difference to remove all the existing wallpaper? i.e. could you leave the stuff that is still stuck well? Think it may be a problem to get it off the ply.

Thanks again,
Jim

Sponsored Links
Mall.

I have had a good look at those pics, and am of the opinion that your paintable Fresco would be ok and lining is not needed.

Please forgive me if I am wrong here, but I do have a gut insctinct that i'm not that far off.

A couple of points though, my eyes are guided toward the dark staining in the top left of your pics, and it looks to me as if this wall has been subject to condensation or the ingress of water. If this is the case and on the provision that it's cured you will ned to seal those areas with a stain blocker, an alkali resisting primer, or an oil based undercoat.

I would further suggest that you remove all existing wallpaper and size the walls before before you continue.

Sorry for the late reply i'm taking a little time out and I am partial to a beer or two. ;)

Dec.

My primary concern would be the fact that you will have a mini-me in there in a week (congrats btw).

Whatever you go for the emulsion will take a while to cure fully, ie. release its solvents.

i would be inclined to recommend that you roll shellac on the walls, eg Zinnser Bin.

Please do speak to a Zinnser or Dulux or solvite rep first.

Even the paste will take a while to cure.

best of luck

sorry if my post sounds ott.

Cheers Dec,

Just to confirm , you don't think that lining paper alone would be good enough on its own? (to then paint on). A point to the other half if that is so!

Also, will it be a problem to leave the existing paper on they ply? - otherwise will be a pain to get off I think.

I saw the stain too, a bit odd. At first I thought damp. The area feels sticky rather than typically damp though. This part of the wall forms the old, now unused, chimney breast, so I thought it maybe oils/tars etc. leeching through. Otherwise I thought that somebody could have applied an anti damp product if there had been damp in the past - leaving this sticky residue.

Of course I could be wrong and it could just be damp!

Cheers,
Jim

opps,

Thanks for the warning but fear not, the lil'un will be in with us for the first few weeks. Understandably my orders are to get this done before he arrives though (and I doubt he/she will allow me time after anyway!).

Cheers,
Jim

P.S. Dec - too tempting, have copied you with a beer.

Jim.

Judging by your pics you could either use a 12 to 1400 grade lining paper or just apply your Fresco, if you choose the lining route you may in the future decide on hanging wallpaper as opposed to painting. These babas tend to grow up quickly and develop their own opinions. ;)

So cross lining may just be the best way to go,

Good luck to you Jim and give my regards to mrs Jim, back to my ale.

Dec.

The stickyness might be because the old paste is damp, thus the wall is damp. Is the old/unused chimney covered/vented.

WRT the paper on the ply, with a decent sander and dust extractor you can just sand it back to feather it off.

Other than that I would agree with TheDec

there seems to be an alcohol theme to this thread. Glad to say I am now in the 3rd of the pubs on my way home from work.

Have to go home soon though, :(

________ edit ____________

you might want to think about an air vent, particularly a passive airvent which will allow moisture out but keep the warm air in.

Opps.

As I said been taking a little time out and I ain't working on the morrow either, time now that my son took some responsibilty. A learning curve that he hopefully will find useful.

Been taking some stick off her indoors, so today bought her a slab of that Belgium Stella, now she's more piddled than I am.

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back