Visonic PowerMax Complete Sensor Issue - please help

The installer does not have to give you the installer code
The installer code does not disarm the system set by the user
It's acceptable by NSI and SSAIB to charge for the engineer code to be changed at which point all liability is removed from the installation company, some will change FOC if panel has upload/download function.

Sponsored Links
I am not going to pretend I know the law, as it can be really complex as to what rights anyone has, even if you have a contract stating your agreed rights, that doesnt mean that those rights are actually legally binding.

Hence why I say seek legal advice.

I know that most work ethically and dont lock the engineers codes and don't disclose the engineers codes to end users, some make reasonable charges to change codes and some don't.

If you have bought the system there is no reason the installer should not issue the installation code to the owner of the system. Send them a recorded delivery letter requesting (demanding) it and for them to post the code back to the registered address, also by recorded delivery.
No reason, yes there is, a BIG one.

If the code is available to the householder he/she can 'play' with the programming to their hearts content, possibly generating an unrecognised problem.

An incident occurs, the alarm does not activate, whos fault is it? The alarm engineer ofcourse - NOT, but proove it.

If anyone wants the ENGINEER CODE ask for it at the time of installation, choose one of your choice and sign a disclaimer to the effect that if anything untoward happens it's your fault, NOT the engineer/alarm company's.

Don't know what your business is but I bet you nave never been told an untruth by one of your coustemers, have you?

I have, the engineering log at the panel always wins out though. (Accessed via Eng code)

I forgot, don't forget the alarm engineer/companys intellectual rights to the programming.

Ah well, time to pay the installation company to come and sort out the problems

At least, once they've been you should have a fully functioning system.

Batteries are reckoned to last around 3 years so it's probably well past the date that your system needs a "once-over"

House insurance policies ofetn have a possible escape clause asking if you get your house alarm serviced regularly by a suitable company

Sponsored Links
thanks for all the responses guys, I am most likely give them a call today and ask them to reset, and keep the code with me this time....

you live, you learn :)

..............Batteries are reckoned to last around 3 years .....................
3 years, where did you get that one from?
5 years as per the NSI, replaced before if faulty of course.

..... still if you charge for every battery change ...........

Allutonee, I had simular problems with my installler, I was away and he was unable to resolve the issue so I asked for the code, which he refused to give or offer a service to reset it (gave same reason - its a code he uses on all his installs!)

So i followed the reset option, it only reset the user codes to default and kept all the settings for all the other menu's.

I've enjoyed a problem free alarm since I have done that and replaced a sensor and the siren. I was also advised (not sure how true it is) but when replacing batteries in the sensors remove and leave it 10 mins before putting in the new one. Something to do with the Visonic not sensing its a new battery and keeps sending the same error?

ahh brilliant ukrobj!

If possible, could you point me to the instructions you were following? I;'ve got the powermax complete

I have 3 jumper pins i think marked DEF, do i just place some metal so it is touching all three of the pins while the power is off?

Also, should the siren go off when i remove the mains conected and backup battery connector from the back of the console?

Would REALLY appreciated some help :), anything to save on the £90 call out charge

look forward to your response:)

Well i've gone and messed myself up now...

I tried to reset the code but nothing happened. Now my alarm does not make any voice announcements and does not say if my doors have been opened or not.

Also it does not call my phone if i open a tamper. And it does not say "Alarm enabled, please exit now" or "alarm disable" when setting and disabling.

Have i completely mashed it up or am i missing something?

The installer code has not reset, and i have all voice and chime options on, and have added my phone number so it won't be those issues

Please help:)

Well i've gone and messed myself up now...

I tried to reset the code but nothing happened. Now my alarm does not make any voice announcements and does not say if my doors have been opened or not.

Also it does not call my phone if i open a tamper. And it does not say "Alarm enabled, please exit now" or "alarm disable" when setting and disabling.

Have i completely mashed it up or am i missing something?

The installer code has not reset, and i have all voice and chime options on, and have added my phone number so it won't be those issues

Please help:)

when you say you tried to reset the code, what exactly did you do, step by step?

I done quite a few things which i think messed the system up.

I put some metal across the E and F signs while disconnecting the battery and 12v power cable and then switched it on again. That did not work

I then done the same thing but instead of putting the metal piece between the E and F pin, i put the 12v power cable on the E and F pin while connecting the battery. That did not work

I saw a little white pushable button underneath the battery compartment and pushed it, it clicked but nothing seem to happen

Have i messed up the entire system and is it fixable? I know i'm a pr@t for messing about with it.....

Symptoms are:

When i use fob, it does not say armed anymore, but beep once to arm and the siren goes off for about half a second, same when i disable via fob

When i put in code for alarm, alarm does not speak anymore, just arms, same when i disable

When i open doors, no audio to tell me something has been opened

When i open an sensor to test tamper call, no call comes through to my phone

I couldn't say as I don't know but im sure adding voltage across pins that should only be shorted isn't going to do it any good.

Sorry I can't offer any advice on that side of things, I know it took me a couple of attempts with shorting the DEF pins to reset the codes. As I don't know what the DEF are on the circuit I don't know what damage would occur.

I guess you have a couple of options now, you could try and reset it again, just following the instructions but don't deviate and improvise if it doesn't work, make sure and be methodical in your process, step by step. If that doesn't work, then your possibly looking at a new panel about £120 ish, or get an installer to attend and explain what you have done so far. He might pull a face but it might be the safest option if your unsure of what your doing.

I found reading manuals several times before doing anything helped.

I'll happily send the the manuals if you don't have them,

thanks for your help in this, its ok, I have the manusl online.

I'm going to give them a call and see what they say

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back