Vokera 20/80 rs flowmatic tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I once again have an issue with my Vokera 20/80 RS Flowmatic. For some reason its started tripping the main RCD. Sometimes it'll trip the RCD immediately, sometimes it can take about half a minute or so.

Thinking that the problem could be a water leak getting onto a cable, I started searches for damp patches, and was happy(ish) to find a leak from the bottom of the DHW manifold's hot water outlet. I cleaned all this up, and sorted the leak and replaced the earth strap, so all was o.k and thought that this was the problem - except it wasnt.

Delving into it a bit more, I started eliminating parts, so I started by checking the other earth point - all o.k. I then disconnected the manual timer - no joy - then I thought the pump my be the cause, so I disconnected that from the back of the PCB, and that didnt help. I then read about the pressure switches being known to do this, so I discconected the pressure differential switch....and that didnt help either.

If you switch it on, you can hear a very faint crackle, with nothing else coming on (even with the timer disconnected, and no ch or hw being called for and even with the pilot light out), just before it trips.

The other thing to note is it takes out the whole Bank of RCD's, rather than just the circuit it is on. Initially, I thought it was another appliance, but even with all the other (4 of them) rcd's off, it'll still trip when the boiler is switched on.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Neil.

Sponsored Links
Check the low speed fan resistor located RHS underneath the combustion box. This allows the fan to run at low speed when nothing is being used. They are prone to failure. Where's the crackling coming from?

my money would be on the pcb. or the stat on the flow pipe

Nothing to add other than the rcd detects a small current flowing from neutral or live to earth nothing to do with overload. that is what an mcb is for. so something is shorting to earth.

Sponsored Links
Check the low speed fan resistor located RHS underneath the combustion box. This allows the fan to run at low speed when nothing is being used. They are prone to failure. Where's the crackling coming from?

Well, blow me down.

Thanks for this - I had a look, and spotted the resistor, and wondered how I could check it. I removed it anyway, and then thought bugger it, I'll see if the boiler pops the rcd without it - and d'you know what - it doesnt!

So - new resistor needed - I'll do a bit of surfing and see what I can find.

Cheers for that!

Neil.

edited for safety

Thanks - I did think that originally, but tbh, not having the CH or HW working for tonight or tommorow isnt the end of the world

Thank goodness for a wood burner and aga.

Unfortunately, it looks like the resistor might be hard to come by....we'll see.

Neil.

that is quite common with them they get extremely hot and the solder connections tend to melt and seperate it is common to see them connected by terminal strip just be aware that the wires are 240v so make sure you isolate the supply when changing it

that is quite common with them they get extremely hot and the solder connections tend to melt and seperate it is common to see them connected by terminal strip just be aware that the wires are 240v so make sure you isolate the supply when changing it

Hmm.. That looks like whats happened before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back