Vokera 20/80RS Flowmatic: Part ‘seal to pilot pipe...4039'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Vokera 20/80R.S. Flowmatic gas boiler, which has been serviced by British Gas.

Recently the boiler malfunctioned. In order to repair it BG told me that a ‘seal to pilot pipe combustion chamber 4039’ part was required, but that this part has been obsolete for several years.

However, around a year ago there was a post on your forum to the effect that this part could be obtained from Plumbase in Hove.

I intend to contact this source at the beginning of the week. However, if you are aware of other possible sources for this part could you please advise me, accordingly.

Also, if the part cannot be sourced, do you have any advice on how my problem can be solved without replacing the boiler?

Thank you for your time taken in dealing with this enquiry.

9Donald5

Sponsored Links
When you say your boiler has been serviced by your service provider, I do not see how. You will have a breakdown contract, not a service contract. Most calls (according to customers who no longer have such contracts) last about 15 minutes. During this visit, you get printout from a computer and flue gasses are analysed. Boiler cover hardly ever comes off

Flue gas analysis while tells an engineer if combustion products are healthy, no way would he know how healthy the water carrying components are. Way to check would be to get into the boiler and have a look see.

Above is not meant to run down engineers within Scottish Gas who are very diligent, few out there come close to such engineers. My experience is based on clients who have switched sides. Flowmatics that have been on such contracts had to be rebuilt, as these boilers had not seen a service as described in the manual for many a moon.

I take it your boiler, Donald, has been condemned, hence you are looking for this part on your own tod?

there are parts for the flowmatic that have dropped off the list and are NLA.

hardly fair to compare a recent conversation with an engineer to a post a year old. ill have look myself and check its availability.

"When you say your boiler has been serviced by your service provider, I do not see how. You will have a breakdown contract, not a service contract. Most calls (according to customers who no longer have such contracts) last about 15 minutes. During this visit, you get printout from a computer and flue gasses are analysed. Boiler cover hardly ever comes off..."

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this post

In clarification: I have a contract with British Gas which provides for both an annual service and breakdown cover. My boiler was serviced in the summer. However, it broke down a few days ago.

When an engineer called out he removed the cover and attempted to repair it. It was then I was advised that the part required was obsolete and that I would require a replacement boiler.

Sponsored Links
"When you say your boiler has been serviced by your service provider, I do not see how. You will have a breakdown contract, not a service contract. Most calls (according to customers who no longer have such contracts) last about 15 minutes. During this visit, you get printout from a computer and flue gasses are analysed. Boiler cover hardly ever comes off..."

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this post

In clarification: I have a contract with British Gas which provides for both an annual service and breakdown cover. My boiler was serviced in the summer. However, it broke down a few days ago.

When an engineer called out he removed the cover and attempted to repair it. It was then I was advised that the part required was obsolete and that I would require a replacement boiler.

If BG will not repair it then I am sure that DP will be happy to do the job for you.

However, be aware that he will want to give it a proper service to combat the years of BG "inspections" !

When BG say that parts are no longer available they sometimes mean just "from BG stores" and the parts may still be available elsewhere.

Tony

Donald, I think you are mistaking a visit that is an 'annual inspection' with boiler service. This is quite common. Best explanation is taking your car for an MOT and assuming it has been serviced.

Component you are looking for, I am quite sure I have one kicking about somewhere.

"Donald, I think you are mistaking a visit that is an 'annual inspection' with boiler service. This is quite common. Best explanation is taking your car for an MOT and assuming it has been serviced.

"Component you are looking for, I am quite sure I have one kicking about somewhere."

This is indeed encouraging news. I understand that the cost of this part is somewhere in the region of £7.50.

My contact details are as follows:

Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0141 554 2894

If you could please let me have your contact details I would be willing to purchase the part in question for a reasonable price.

Thank you for your help in this matter!

I dont know what Danny's policy is regarding obsolete parts and we dont know if its really obsolete anyway!

However, our policy is to retain any obsolete or difficult parts which we can get hold of strictly for the benefit of our own customers!

Sometimes obsolete parts can sell at many times their last list price as they can obviate the need for a boiler replacement. The air flow switch of a Lynx is a prime example.

Tony

4039 is listed as special order, most likely it is NLA, whether there are any lying on shelves around the country is a different matter. if it were me i would have phoned to check its availability. most special order parts for boilers this age are NLA.

contrary to popular belief, particularly from the less informed contributors on here, if a part is listed special order for a boiler over 10 years it probably is no longer available new from the licensed manufacturer of that part.(usually the boiler manufacturer). you may find them from various sources but they are unlikely to be new, rather gathering dust until someone needs it.

the special order listing is frankly a pain in the arse as it gives the engineer little information other than its going to be a bastard to get a hold of. the best thing for the engineer to do is phone the parts desk and ask if it is obsolete or just special order direct from the manufacturer.

Donald, I think you are mistaking a visit that is an 'annual inspection' with boiler service. This is quite common. Best explanation is taking your car for an MOT and assuming it has been serviced.

Component you are looking for, I am quite sure I have one kicking about somewhere.

I know it is a long time since this post & have contacted Donald who suggested I look for this thread. Do you still have "one kicking around" it is for an older couple next door who can't really afford a new boiler because this seal needs replacing. If not any idea where one could be obtained as I've tried various suppliers who say it's obsolete?

Thanks,
Gerry D

Gerry, do you mean that you are trying to fix your neighbours boiler?

Hopefully not if you are not gas registered.

But I am sure that Danny ( DP ) will be happy to fix it for them.

Tony

No I am simply trying to locate this grommet for my neighbours as the gas engineers they have had out cannot seem to locate one saying they are obsolete & are instead trying to flog them a new boiler for £2000!!! Hence my involvement at trying to find one. If obtained they will I'm sure be happy to have it fitted by a qualified engineer though perhaps not through BG as they are trying to make commission from selling a top of the range model to them.

Are you aware that some parts suppliers only sell to registered engineers?

Its normal for the engineer to do the procurement!

I expect that Danny ( DP ) has them in stock.

Many of the 20-80 parts are used in later boilers sometimes with different part numbers in the case of Vokera.

Its odd that you dont want to let him repair the boiler!

Tony

I have not at any time said that DP cannot do the job. As I have not had any response from DP, if you furnish me with his contact details via email at [email protected] I will gladly contact him or whoever can obtain this seal or its equivalent, regarding this matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back