vokera linea 24 few problems with PICS!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
okay these are my problems, wanna see if i can do any repairs b4 caling sumone out, had the day off to look at my combi boiler, moved into house a month ago.the boiler must be as old as the house 7 years old, the problem was i was losing pressure, checked for leaks and no signs of leaks, also heating works fine but having problems getting hot water from taps, so today ive started to have a look, turned power gas and water off and removed covers, now from what i can tell ive got a leak on the main heater exchange there is signs of rust in the corner, im presuming there is a leak here and then the heat is drying it out, the problem with my pressure loss. heres sum pics

View of boiler
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6757/firstvr2.jpg

Back left corner of heater exchange showing rust
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/6936/pics003si1.jpg

Left side of heater exchange looking at side of boiler
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3107/leftsidern4.jpg

Now i have been represurizing system to keep me going doing it bout every 2 days. when i do it now it doesnt sound the same when i fill from the coldwater fill can hardly hear the flow but it does refill. so checked the pressure vessel, when i test it it just seems to leak water, this is just meant to contain air?

So looks like ill need a new heater exchange, pressure vessel. i need to know were i can get these parts ie of net? am i okay replacing these parts myself? only a auto spark and do mains. from what im guessing the heater exchange and pressure vessel should sort out pressure problem. heater echange doesnt look hard to change, pressure vessel gonna be a problem have no room at top of boiler. but what about not getting how water from taps?.

Sponsored Links
You'd have to be corgi regd to change the heat exchanger, but not the pressure vessel.

The pv could (also) go enternally if it's easier. It would be cheaper.

Lack of hw would be relatively easy to fix - probably. Flow switch, motor, or gummed up and leaky diverter.

Check the water hasn't got anywhere naughty.

There's always a chance of something else, so you might consider replacing the boiler, depending on your wallet and patience!

My initial reaction is that there is a problem with the flue and water is leaking down the flue into the boiler! Is it a vertical flue? If horizontal is it wrongly tipping BACK towards the boiler?

There may be a leak in the main HE as well.

Frankly, most engineers on seeing that amount of corrosion would say that the boiler would not be safe to repair.

Tony

My initial reaction is that there is a problem with the flue and water is leaking down the flue into the boiler! Is it a vertical flue? If horizontal is it wrongly tipping BACK towards the boiler?

There may be a leak in the main HE as well.

Frankly, most engineers on seeing that amount of corrosion would say that the boiler would not be safe to repair.

Tony

Think uve got it spot on here m8, checked again theres water marks from the fan assembly on the flu as shown in this pic, the flue leaves the boiler with a bend and goes horizintally outside

pic of leak
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8776/leakfx8.jpg

Outside flu
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/331/flucq1.jpg

Sponsored Links
But is the horizontal part tipping backwards towards the boiler?

It should tip down about 3° to the outside!

Is the gutter damaged above the flue?

Tony

But is the horizontal part tipping backwards towards the boiler?

It should tip down about 3° to the outside!

Is the gutter damaged above the flue?

Tony

I would say yes it tilting slighty to the boiler! hard to tell but if i look at the horizontal bit outside it looks like it tilting down towards the boiler, theres no gutter as this is on the side of the house

The innards of your boiler do look rather abused.
If you have been topping the system up every other day since you moved in, the previous owner probably did the same. Chances are your system is full of corrosion and limescale, which has blocked the h/e.
Depending on the speed of leaking and delay in re-filling, it is possible that your pump has suffered as well.
Adding the amount of damage to the boiler, the poor quality of the thing in the first place, and the fact that there obviously has been little or no service, I would say it is an accident waiting to happen.
Turn it off and replace it. repairing would probably turn out to be throwing good money after bad. Sorry for the bad news

hmm, looks like classic vokera heat exchanger leak to me. been left way too long. you could be in trouble here as ive seen this a few times and almost everytime ive removed the h/e and gently poked the backplate a hole has developed. you might get away with it though. even then if it was me id leave it at risk if the backplate was corroded enough.

have to disagree with the general consensus that this is a bad boiler though. IMO they are fantastic boilers for the money and the only real failings are the heat exchangers and the gas valve pcb's. id stick my neck out and say that its probably my favourite non condensing combi.

a yearly service would have picked that up a long time ago.

IMO they are fantastic boilers for the money and the only real failings are the heat exchangers and the gas valve pcb's.

ONLY failing h/e, pcb, and valve?

can't argue that annual service would have found the problems on this one.
In 2004 that is.

IMO they are fantastic boilers for the money and the only real failings are the heat exchangers and the gas valve pcb's.

ONLY failing h/e, pcb, and valve?

can't argue that annual service would have found the problems on this one.
In 2004 that is.

er yeh....thats why its an annual service :rolleyes: :LOL:

why what else would you say is a significant problem on these? are you one of these people who are scared of vokeras despite them being probably the easiest boilers to work on?

I have left it off and still stripped down, trying to get sumone out to see what they think, which is proving hard tried volkera service there booked up till end of week, bad time to have to fork out for a new boiler just cant really afford it, id rather chuck a few hundered at it to get me through 3 months can replace it in march when i get a bonus! Not a good first christmas in this house then, even worse got 4 month old baby!. currently got a heater pluged in for now!

Nickso, agree with your comments. Add secondary HE to the list. Not a bad boiler but a pale image of the Flowmatic or Excel.

Went to the devil excel boiler today (another thread). Strongly suspect the gas was turned off at the meter. Householder was told the pilot was not igniting as it was flooded due to leak within. Combustion chamber was bonbe dry. Serviced boiler. Customer well pleased.

why what else would you say is a significant problem on these? are you one of these people who are scared of vokeras despite them being probably the easiest boilers to work on?

No, I will repair any boiler. I just hate to have a call out for warranty, as I would not be paid for it. :LOL:

Nickso, agree with your comments. Add secondary HE to the list. Not a bad boiler but a pale image of the Flowmatic or Excel.

Went to the devil excel boiler today (another thread). Strongly suspect the gas was turned off at the meter. Householder was told the pilot was not igniting as it was flooded due to leak within. Combustion chamber was bonbe dry. Serviced boiler. Customer well pleased.

is glasgow bad for dhw h/e's? cant say ive ever replaced more than a few here and there on lineas. more on excells but thats probably due to age than anything else.

i prefer the linea to the excell or flowmatic. natural progression as far as i can see. less complicated, no silly dhw diaphragms.

No, I will repair any boiler. I just hate to have a call out for warranty, as I would not be paid for it. :LOL:

hmm, i dont get many recalls on lineas :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back