volkswagen t4 van no 3rd gear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - ihave a vw t4 2001 1.9 td van - goes up the gears loveley - only wont go from 4th to 3rd - i have to go 4th to 2nd to 3rd -

i've only just bought the van and thought it might be a cable opertated linkeage as per the workshop manual - but it isnt - just a rod link

tell me the 'box is going to have to come out and i'll be upset

Sponsored Links
Well something is worn or out of adjustment, and it's either the linkage outside the box or the selection mechanism inside it.

Can you get an observer to watch the linkage while you shift gear (when stationary with the engine off, obviously)?

When changing down, give it a few revs and see if it'll slip in. If it does i'd suspect a gearbox problem.
I would have though if it was out of adjustment you'd have problems find 3rd going up or down.

bent or worn selector fork.
it should be using the same synchro cone to get to 4th from 2nd as it does to get to 3rd from 2nd.

if its the synchro then 'double declutching' will ease it into gear. if it is the selector fork the problem should persist.

Sponsored Links
cheers for all the replies - ive got someone to check the linkeage - it a seems ok - are there any additives i could put into the gearbox which would help ?

could replace the oil with redline, which sometimes helps tired boxes

Stivino said:
benplumb said:
are there any additives i could put into the gearbox which would help ?
Yep, add a new 2nd gear synchro cone.
I haven't larfed so much in weeks. Thanks Stivino. :)

benplumb said:
thanks a bunch stivino

I suppose I could have put it a bit more delicately but, it sounds like it needs a bit more than an "additive".

benplumb said:
ta for all the posts - i'm on the lookout for a new gearbox
What was the fault, and how did you find out? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back