VW Crafter Adblue

Joined
19 Nov 2008
Messages
1,187
Reaction score
43
Location
Dorset
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I haven't read about adblue in the VW Crafter 2023 van I've just bought yet.
What does this screen mean? It''s always showing.
C
Adblue.jpg
 
That is your adblue top-up warning.

It usually means there is a need to top up the adblue before it runs out. If it gets too low the car will (usually) prevent you from starting.

Adblue is a chemical that is mixed with the exhaust gas and reduces car emissions.

The mile count usually indicates how long you have left until the car will prevent you from starting.

As per the sign, you need to fill up with at least 2.5 gallons (I assume gallons) for it to properly register a top-up and no more than 4.

Some cars have a procedure to follow if you top-up due to a warning message. For example after filling up, power the car up but don't start the engine for a few minutes so the car has time to register the new volume in the tank.

But, all manufactures are different, so consult your manual.

Top-up options include using the large cartons of Ad-blue ( usually cheapest if you shop around) you see sold at garages and aldi. However, adblue systems can be a bit fussy and general advice is to avoid these if you can see they have been sat outside for weeks on end. Some say this can degrade the quality of the adblue.

The better option may be just to use a forecourt filler, many stations have them now (bp have good ones usually). You may pay a bit more per litre than the cartons, but it's easier, less messy and you can control the amount you put it.

If your display is giving you max/min top up quantities in gallons, don't forget to convert to litres. So 2.5 -4 gallons would be 11.3 - 18.1 litres.

Also ensure you are topping up the Adblue into the correct location, it is usually has a blue cap and is near the petrol/diesel cap. Do not fill it via your petrol/diesel filler.
 
Last edited:
Hi D and M,
That's good, that it is approx 8000miles before I need to top it up.
I've just bought it, and it was a worry, so when I bought Diesel. I chose the best which was £225/ltr, gulp!
Cheers, C.
 
Only buy Adblue from screwfix and not petrol stations, it has to be out of direct sunlight.

Andy
 
Only buy Adblue from screwfix and not petrol stations, it has to be out of direct sunlight.

Andy
Hi A,
Good to know. When I filled up, I was looking at the adblue bottles, and the assistant, came over and told me A/ where the spout is hidden, and B/ It's 2x expensive in this garage. Go to Tesco's
It'll be over a year till I need it :)
C
 
Adblue systems on most manufacturers tend to be quite temperamental, but there are a few things that have been advised over the years to try and mitigate the chances of an issue cropping up.

One suggestion is that it is better to keep the tank mostly full.
Do not treat it like a petrol tank where you can run it low before topping up.

Ablue crystallises very easily and this can contribute to issues inside the tank. The emptier the tank, the more this might be an issue.

So little top-ups and regularly to keep the tank nearly full is generally good advice.

It seems that your 8000mile warning is just an early advisory, which means your tank is still around 75% full. You have used between 3and 6 litres.

So a small top up of 4 litres might be a good idea.
 
Yeh, there is that too, certainly never brim the tanks. I have a citroen and I tend to try and keep it around the 80% full mark.

I just had the feeling the OP might end up driving it until super low and treating it like a petrol tank. Which is usually a bad idea.
 
Hi All,
Thanks, all noted.
I went to wickes today, and passed the Adblue section, and I'm sure it said £14, for what looked like a gallon? (Which is what the service station assistant said)
C
 
Back
Top