VW Golf Intermittent starting fault when it rains!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
New to the forum and have to say that all responses are very good but as yet I haven't come across a forum portraying the same probs as my VeeDub.

I have a '97 mk3 golf 1.6 CL (carb model) and it hates the wet....the engine turns over when turning the ignition, all lights on dash appear/disappear as they should - she just won't spark. When the weather is kind (!) she's starts off the button all the time.

I've replaced the rotor, dizzy cap and HT leads and of course plugs which has helped with the performance somewhat cos the other leads were "arcking" out. I've reconditioned the starter motor too just to be on the safe side, bendix gears etc are all working fine and there is good current/voltage.

As today is persisting down she's won't start and its doing my proverbial pip in - any help/ideas greatly appreciated

Peace

Sponsored Links
Check the ignition coil for sparking underneath.....there is a bit of an issue with these, especially if its the square coil. The ignition switch is another problem area, but yours does seem to be behaving ok.
John :)

Check the ignition coil for sparking underneath.....there is a bit of an issue with these, especially if its the square coil. The ignition switch is another problem area, but yours does seem to be behaving ok.
John :)

Thanks John, i replaced the coil pack when doing the leads - process of ilimination eh.

I've found a solution to the problem - i used a "booster pack" and lo n behold she started - strange tho' as when its warm/not wet there's no need to use a boost and admittedly i only checked voltage when it was dry - may be that the battery is on its way out
M :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back