VW tuaran death rattle or what

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi every one me again my vw tuaran has developed a clunking sound that is driving me nuts it is most prominent when i brake a series of noises but then when i take off and accelerate i get a dull clunk seems to be from the front n/side but some times from the front middle its driving my mad as i tow a caravan and need to sort it out soon. i took it to the local garage and asked him to check it out for me i stayed with him and he gave it a very rugged test but cant find anything he suggested i change the engine mount so i took it off and was in very good condition so put it back on now what else can their be i am very familiar with cars as i do lots of repairs for family and friends rebuilt many engines and gearboxes and and general car repairs i bought a diagnostic tool to assist to diagnose faults with my snap on tool kit very extensive tool kit== if its for cars i got it== so not scared to strip things down but what do i strip down your help please going over speed bumps don't get a noise but mostly on braking and acceleration :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
Bottom wishbone bushes are a likely suspect - especially the big one at the back.
Look for rubber deterioration, and the wishbone moving forward and back.
John :)

A Ssangyong Musso I once owned had a clunk when applying the brakes, then another clunk when accelerating, no clunk whilst actually braking tho. It turned out the front brake pads had shims missing so they were clunking forward and back a few mm against the caliper.

Sponsored Links
thanks for you reply much appreciated yes i have put new wishbone bushes in both sides all wheels are tight and the M O T man did an extensive test but found nothing ???? i will look at the calipers / pads as soon as i can thanks bazz

Back