W/C Conversion Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First of all i'd like to say how useful this site is! I have been using it (as a non member) since I bought my first house at the beginning of the year.

I am about to embark on my next project. I am planning to convert a storage cupboard (which was an external w/c originally) back into a w/c.

I have pulled out all of the shelves and drawers which had been fitted and it now has painted brick walls. I would like to have the walls plastered, and tile in places so was wondering what the best way of doing this is?

I have heard the best way is to install batons, a waterproof memberane and then plasterboard. This seems a little long winded.

Could I have plaster applied directly to the brickwork? Could I then tile on top of that?

Alternatively, could I mount plasterboard directly onto the brick walls?

Its also worth noting that it is absolutely bone dry in there.

Thanks for your help,

Chris

Sponsored Links
I am planning to convert a storage cupboard (which was an external w/c originally) back into a w/c.

I have pulled out all of the shelves and drawers which had been fitted and it now has painted brick walls. I would like to have the walls plastered, and tile in places so was wondering what the best way of doing this is?

I have heard the best way is to install batons, a waterproof memberane and then plasterboard. This seems a little long winded.

Could I have plaster applied directly to the brickwork? Could I then tile on top of that?

Alternatively, could I mount plasterboard directly onto the brick walls?

Its also worth noting that it is absolutely bone dry in there.

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

It's probably worth asking you a couple of additional questions first, before any comments come back -

:?: this former external w/c - is the brickwork single or a double with a cavity?

:?: Also can you see any sign of a damp proof course at the bottom?

The fact it is bone dry in there, it probably has a DPC and is a cavity wall. The paint may also help indicate if there is any damp (peeling paint etc)

These may affect answers you get back.

The fact that it is bone dry at the moment is irrelevant.

If the walls are only single leaf then your biggest enemy will be condensation, which will become particularly relevant on cold winter days.

Besides which, using the room as habitable space will require you to upgrade to reg's in any case.

Sponsored Links
your biggest enemy will be condensation, which will become particularly relevant on cold winter days.

Would an extractor fan or vent help this situation? I believe the walls are only single brick layer.

using the room as habitable space will require you to upgrade to reg's in any case

This was originally a w/c, and I believe it never 'declared' that it was being removed. Where do I stand with this? How can I check?

how about dabbing thermal backed boards onto the walls?

Sounds good. What are they? lol. Pls excuse my ignorance!

Thanks

Would an extractor fan or vent help this situation? I believe the walls are only single brick layer.
You will have to have an extractor fan to comply with current Building Regs. anyway but this will not help with the single skin wall problem

This was originally a w/c, and I believe it never 'declared' that it was being removed. Where do I stand with this? How can I check?
Irrelevant; if your refitting it as a loo, is must comply with current B Regs. & that includes ventilation, drainage, electrics & in some cases sound insulation.

Sounds good. What are they? lol. Pls excuse my ignorance!
Fine but it needs to comply with current Regs. & be done properly or you’ll have all sorts of problems, especially if you heat it.
http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...es/gyproc_thermal/gyproc_thermaline_plus.aspx
You need the one with an integral vapour barrier.

you can get boards with celotex glued to the back but i don't know who manufactures them or stocks them, that would give you your vapour barrier all in one i think?

Rich C is right, regs are there for a reason and there's a good reason to stick to them.

Just quickly - I will ensure that at all time this job is kept to the regs!

Where can I get a 'comprehensive' guide to these regs? Do I need to apply for any planning etc??

I am planning to have tradesmen round to carry out the work but was wondering which order I need them in. I had provisionally thought:

1. Plumber - to sort drainage
2. Electrician - to sort lights
3. Plasterer - to sort walls
4. Tiler - to do tiling
5. Plumber - to install suite

Can someone help here?

Where can I get a 'comprehensive' guide to these regs?
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/buildingregs/technicalguidance/
You’re interested in Parts E, F, H, L, & P but it’s not as bad as it looks. Part E (sound insulation) is only required if using stud partition & the room is next to another habitable room; Part F basically says you have to have a fan; Part H covers foul drains & waste runs; Part L covers thermal efficiency of the walls (but this will not affect you, your only interested in avoiding damp penetration) & any windows (also possibly Part N for safety glass) & Part P covers electrics.

You will need to submit a Building Notice so you should talk to your LABC to make sure your covering all the requirements that are applicable in you’re case. The work will most likely be subject to inspection & possible witness testing of the drain connection but they will tell you.

Do I need to apply for any planning etc??
Not for planning but Building Regs is required as above; a fee is involved.

I am planning to have tradesmen round to carry out the work but was wondering which order I need them in. I had provisionally thought:
Many plumbers will not be keen to do ground works & drainage (or even know how to) if that’s what you need. A decent tiller will be prepared to remove installed sanitary ware, tile & then reinstate it; the plumbing installation must make allowance for tiles on the wall/floor.

If you’re not going to DIY, you may be better off to seek out & employ a decent bathroom fitter. He should be able to do everything except maybe the electrics which I also buy in; only one arse to kick if things go wrong! Some fitters are also registered to do the electrics but you must make sure you get a minor works certificate for the installation on completions. LABC will want to see this; don’t forget you will need wiring for the fan installation. I would also warn you that if your consumer unit is old, you could open a can of worms!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back