Wall Cabinet Custom Build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

We are currently renovating our house and as part of which we looking for fitted shelving/display cabinet to act as a centre point for our lounge which will cover an entire wall. Due to the specific nature of what we require we have decide to look at commissioning a custom-made piece.

Please view the link of the visio drawing I have made, and also the specs:
http://www.eyeofthebeholder.co.uk/stuff/Cabinet.pdf
http://www.eyeofthebeholder.co.uk/stuff/CabinetSpecs.pdf

I am hoping to spend about £2k - 2.5k. Is this completely unrealistic or is it over what I should be spending?

I will be sending the specs off to a few Joiners for estimates, but looking in our local Yellow Pages, there are loads of Joiners and Caprenters to choice from, I assume with varying abilities to what they will tackle.

Does anyone have any advise on this?

Thanks for your help.

Ad.

Sponsored Links
ok my comments

quite a tricky one because of the various sized sections overlaping

the maximum height is 2" less and around 2"less width

would be base units [2 or 3]with top sections on top

would need to be made in 6 or seven sections with probably 6ft x4ft or 6ftx6ft maximum sections dependant on access/weight /workshop restrictions

your budget will probably be double because of the complexitys of construction and transportation

AS BA says you should be looking to double your budget, at a quick glance I would be looking to at least £1000 +VAT per meter run

Your 40mm thickness will need to be made up by either glueing two sheets of 19mm veneeref MDF together or glueing two 18mm MDF sheets and then veneering but the later would work out more costly.

If you could bring the thickness down to 26mm it would make quite a difference to the cost and still look good, something like this one I did.

Your shelf depth needs changing to 280mm BTW not 28mm

Jason

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments! I see my pricing was completly out :eek:

I have discussed this with my other half and we think an alternative to the Oak Veneer would be white. I have spoken to my father, who has had some experience in carpentry, and he says that a way to get a crisp, sharp edged white effect is to use an enamel spray onto good quality MDF

Has anyone heard of this? What are the end results actually like? I assume it would bring down the cost, but by how much?

Thanks

Ad.

Sponsored Links
To get a decent finish all the cut edges will need a lot of prep and then need professionally spraying if you want high gloss, Won't be cheap with the amount you have go to do, possibly £2000. Painting by roller/brush is also an option if you will be happy with slight surface blemishes. Have a look at this thread on another forum for a nicely sprayed kitchen

Seeing that the oak veneer would have needed lacquering anyway there will be a saving on the materials and you can get 38mm MDF.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back