Wall fixings for tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just moved home yesterday, one of my first jobs is to get the tv on the wall to keep the kids occupied while unpacking!

Ive just gone to put on wall and right where i want it the used to be a serving hatch through to kitchen.

From what it fills like its just a wood frame with a square of plaster board over the whole.

I really want to avoid taking it all out and making a frame with battons etc

Any other way i can quickly get it on the wall?

Im thinking a strip of wood the lengh of tv screwed into concrete either side of the hatch then fittle the tv bracket to the batton of wood? My only concern with that is the batton wont be secured in the middle?

Hope that makes sence

Sponsored Links
why not just stand it in a corner for them to watch while your unpacking?
The kids wont care.

why not just stand it in a corner for them to watch while your unpacking?
The kids wont care.

I dont have the stand for it anymore and they are only 1 & 3 so will probaly knock it over!

Sponsored Links
Depending on the weight of the tv and the kind of brackets you have you could fix plywood or mdf to battens around the hatch, but it might be quicker to use heavy duty cavity fixings like these from Wickes:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Fischer-Cavity-Fixing-Anchor-5-x-37mm-Pack-of-20/p/141037

They're rated to around 12 kg each if I recall correctly, assuming your plaster board is the right thickness and is in good condition.

Blup

Hi the tv is around 10kg

The plasterboard is about 1cm thick

The problem with making the frame on the outside is that the serving hatch is bigger than the tvs height so you would see the frame above the tv if that makes sence.

Could i use those fixings you suggested straight into the plaster? Would it not just pull it off the wall?

Cavity fixings are designed to go through plasterboard not into plaster.

They work by spreading on the back of the plasterboard (in the cavity) which tighten against the head of the screw on the front of the board. As with any kind of fixing they need installed correctly otherwise they will pull out as you indicate.

This is from Fischer's website, which also gives the loadings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=62&v=uZd_zYywHpA

Only do it if you feel confident to do so.

Blup

Is the hatch wider than the TV?

If no, then use batons with regular fittings in to the plaster and then use the fittings recommended by Blurp for the plasterboard span covering the hatch.

If the serving hatch has been boarded correctly, Blurp's fixings would suffice, unfortunately, you cannot be sure that it was done properly in the first place.

Second to going with your plan of battona in to the solid wall either side of hatch and a cavity fixing as suggested by blurp in the middle

Thanks guys i decided to just do the job properly and made a hole where the hatch was and built a frame. Job done

Right next step is to paint the walls, the hole that now has plasterboard over it, it it ok to paint straight on top of the plasterboard?

You can paint over the plasterboard. The texture will be slightly different the rest of the wall though.

I dont have the stand for it anymore and they are only 1 & 3 so will probaly knock it over!

At that age they need more stimulation than being plonked in front of a TV. There was no TV in my house until I was 16.

At that age they need more stimulation than being plonked in front of a TV. There was no TV in my house until I was 16.

Calm down, only while i get some jobs done as just moved in. Had to build beds wardrobes etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back