Wall Hung Flueless gas Fires. Think Very Carefully

Until April 1st 2009 gas registration was by CORGI who required installers to notify the installation to them and they would issue a certificate.

Since this date the registration is by Gas Safe who do not make it a condition of registration that its notified.

I think they are just trying to delay and find a get out.

As for a "post installation analysing report" I have never heard of anything described as such and can only think they are trying to frighten you. All you need to do is show proof that it was installed by a registered person.

If you were to take it court you would normally get a technical report by an independent consultant, that usually costs about £300-£600 but is reclaimable if you win the case if the defendant asked you to provide that. Otherwise the easiest option is to offer them the opportunity to come and see the fire.

I dont really understand what the legal basis of your claim is yet though.

You have a wonderful advantage in that if they dont assist you can sue them in the county court and that will result in very bad publicity and the mere issue of a summons would be likely to get an immediate offer of a settlement.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile i think you will find that ALL flued appliance and ALL fixed space heaters must be notified whether flued or flueless

Until April 1st 2009 gas registration was by CORGI who required installers to notify the installation to them and they would issue a certificate.

Since this date the registration is by Gas Safe who do not make it a condition of registration that its notified.

I think they are just trying to delay and find a get out.

As for a "post installation analysing report" I have never heard of anything described as such and can only think they are trying to frighten you. All you need to do is show proof that it was installed by a registered person.

If you were to take it court you would normally get a technical report by an independent consultant, that usually costs about £300-£600 but is reclaimable if you win the case if the defendant asked you to provide that. Otherwise the easiest option is to offer them the opportunity to come and see the fire.

I dont really understand what the legal basis of your claim is yet though.

You have a wonderful advantage in that if they dont assist you can sue them in the county court and that will result in very bad publicity and the mere issue of a summons would be likely to get an immediate offer of a settlement.

Tony
Thanks Tony,
The fire is still in situ and the damage to the wall still very apparent. I have invited the company to view but all I got was a very brief reply stating they require sight of the documentation quoted before they will take any action. I suspected that this may be a bit of bluffing on their part which is why I sought advice from you guys in the trade. I am about £700 quid down with the cost of the fire plus installation. It is probably going to cost another £300 to have it removed and the reskim of the wall, so it has proved a costly mistake. I wasn't really seeking ful restitution but I thought the least the supplier could do would be to offer a refund on the fire. I am working from a position of having to write off the lot to experience so any refund will be a bonus. Thanks again . Alan

Its obvious some people do not have a clue about the technology involved. New, modern flueless gas fires are built to the strictest CE legislation. The emissions given off are minute compared to someone smoking in a room. . If the fire is causing a black mark it is most likely that it is not installed correctly. The gas pressure is critical on these appliances. Modern flueless fires have an ODS system that will shut the fire down in the event the CO in the room rises above 80ppm. If they are so dangerous why are they installed in the USA, Australia and Japan? New ones are clean and safe.

All flueless gas fires require an air vent over 1 meter away from the appliance. This must provide a quantity of free air - as specified by the manufacturer. What people do is take the free air measurement and think its the size of the grille. And no the air vent will not cause drafts if you go out and buy a proper one with baffles and a shield.

All flueless gas fires need to be fitted in a room of a minimum size as specified by the manufacturer. They should not be fitted in bedrooms, kitchens, bathrooms or basements.

I have an "open flamed flueless gas fire" which is built by a company here in the UK and does not need glass or filters. It is the best decision I ever made. Its been in for 5 years and has never caused any black marks or problems. It has reduced my energy bills and gives me instant heat. Search for "open flamed flueless gas fire" and you can find what I purchased.

Finally, when considering safety:

Wood Burning - these need a CO monitor in the room [not required for a flueless fire] and have no safety devices to shut them down. Recent published research stated its bad for your health due to particles.

Balanced flue - expensive to buy and fit

chimney fires have safety devices to shut them down.

If you want energy efficiency, low running costs, low install costs and instant heat on a cold winters days - buy a flueless gas fire and get it installed by a "GAS SAFE ENGINEER" who will follow the instructions supplied by the manufacturer.

Sponsored Links
Here we go again. :LOL:

Two year old post too. :rolleyes:

Old-Sign.jpg

Ethan Trod please look at the last post date before posting ;)

should I have been issued this documentation at the time or is this some sort of 'get out; ploy by the supplier?
No it is not a get out ploy by the supplier. Odds are that who ever installed the fire did not ensure the pressure at the burners was correct as per manufacturer's instructions for installation. If the pressure was too high then the burners would produce far more heat than the fire was designed to cope with. Hence it over heated and scorched the plaster.

Too much gas pressure and not enough air means poor combustion and the production of lethal carbon monoxide into the house.

Might be that the scorched plaster has prevented you from letting the fire kill you or others in the house.

EDIT Oops I also didn't notice the age of the thread. Still no harm in repeating the dangers of these fires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back