Wall in garden - coping not deep enough!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I plan to render an outside wall. I’ve done a few walls before and there’s lots of useful tips here on the forum.

However I have one issue (which perhaps you can see from image):

The paved steps were meant to overhang the wall. One step does and will produce a nice edge, however the other pavers are flush to the wall.

I had one builder make the block work, and another on the slabs. They both went straight and square but obviously to different lines!

In the problem area I was thinking of using a stop bead, and then creating a shallow chamfer into the slab above. This will be exposed to weather and could crack..any other ideas?

bringing up the slab and realigning it is something I want to avoid as I don’t have extra slabs to lay.

many thanks experts.

65BFFBBA-E46E-4B46-9A02-F2F6436ED00A.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Ps, I will render right down to the ACO below it. There is a decent gap in behind the ACO itself, that’s not an issue.

Should've gone for bigger size.
And I hope those steps slope out so not to get the wall soaked.

Hi Johnny
Couldn’t agree more - it’s a shame I only spotted it after the job was done.
The steps are sloped and water runs off in the right direction, so at least that’s a plus.

do you think I could get away with a stop bead below each step, and then a chamfer finish to meet the step above? I know this is not the right way, but I’m going to have to take second best.

Sponsored Links
Yes they’re laid on concrete.
In that case the worst that can happen is that they get dislodged by water infiltration.
Unless you wanna lift them and replace, go ahead with your plan.
Personally I would've rendered first and put the coping stones at the end (they would've stayed clean as well)

Thanks Johnny.
Yes, in hindsight I would have had them render first, but it was a decision based on budget at the time. As they say, you learn from your mistakes. The builder could have also used a wider slab, so in part it’s a combination of issues.
thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back