wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am looking for some advice. I live in an end terrace house, 1950's split level house, external walls are poured concrete wooden batten then 9mm plasterboard. House is freezing and I am looking to install some insualtion, the easier the better.

Came accross this as I was installing a few sockets (i am an approved electrician) and i couldnt believe the heat being lost and the breeze coming in from the punctured plasterboard.

I was thinking about vapour board on top of existing plasterboard then double sheeting or s there anyway to fill the cavity between the plasterboard and concrete approx 20mm

Your views would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Foil backed plasterboard has very little insulation value, so you may be wasting your time and money

I'm not sure what you mean by double sheeting

The only worthwhile solution may be to use insulated plasterboard, or to replace existing board with the insulating type or remove the existing and line the walls with quilt and re-board

The first layer of insulation gives you the greatest benefit but 20 mm really is too little. You should look at 50 mm to give a good improvement and unless it would really cramp you, 100 mm should be your aim.

If you have a decent soffit overhang, bite the bullet and re-skin the house in brick, along with 100mm full fill dritherm insulation.

Sorted. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your expertise and advice on this. I have decided to bite the bullet and i am going to take down the existing gyproc, going with rigid insulation boards (do i need a flat wall for this to fix to? as the concerete pour is very bumpy!)

I am planning on only carrying this out on the external walls, and certain rooms, in your opinon is this a waste of time?

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back